Chapter 8: Plans Part 1

"I want to see you."

Words cannot describe what I am feeling right now. I know it's real life yet an unidentifiable characteristic makes everything look surreal. I fumble with my phone as I make the number one of my contacts. He sent another message asking if we could Facetime so he could see the snow, but that one line keeps playing over and over in my head. I had Dream's number, I'd talked to Dream, we'd even laughed together. I can barely breathe as I wait for him to answer. Suddenly the screen changes and there he is, smiling and radiant, Dream.

-------------------------------------

Sunday, April 26th, 2020

A/N Ok that was a random time jump. Nothing much happened during those four months, remember COVID does not exist!

"One more week and we are out of here forever!" Gracie shouts, jumping out of her bed. I groan from the combined noises of her and the alarm clock.

"I honestly don't know if I should be happy or not," I say.

"I know right? Same," she says. "You have been the best roommate I've ever had."

"I'm the only roommate you've ever had," I correct her.

"Since Freshman year!" she says.

I look out the window. I can't believe a whole school year has gone by and that it's already spring. The grass is turning green, tender leaves are sprouting on the trees and some dots of color are popping up.

"You really should ask Dream," Gracie says.

My face immediately turns red. "No, I can't."

"Ugh you are hopeless," she says. "It couldn't be that bad."

"Gracie please," I say. I can't have this conversation again, not now.

After breakfast Gracie claps her hands together and says, "Ok! So I'm going to go get some groceries, remember, Madi's coming over today!"

"I know," I say. I'm amazed by how much my life has changed over the past few months. Madi and Amelia are now regulars in our dorm room. And Dream... Ugh I can't think about that right now.

After Gracie leaves I decide to head down to the library. I haven't had some quiet in a long time. This afternoon is going to use up a lot of energy with both Gracie and Madi in the dorm. All that I need is a good book to get lost in.

As I walk down the campus path, I can't help thinking of that first snowy January day when I saw Dream for the first time. I can safely say it has been the most memorable day of my life so far. It happened so quickly and unexpectedly, he had a lot of courage.

I greet the librarian when I enter. My part time job had already ended but I still got special privileges and treatment. "Looking for anything special today?" the librarian asks.

"No, just browsing," I reply.

"Ok, call me if you need anything," she says. "But I think by now you probably know the library even better than I do."

Finally I settle down with The Fellowship of the Ring, too long in my opinion but just the right book to keep me occupied for a good amount of time. Just as I reach the part where the hobbits leave the Shire, my phone starts buzzing. I look down and then quickly away. I was really hoping he wouldn't call today, not for the whole week actually. Act casual.

"Hey Dream," I say. "How are you?"

"You're acting formal today," he says.

"You didn't answer my question," I whisper.

"I'm good, why are you whispering?" he asks.

"I'm in the library," I say. Then an idea pops into my head. "Why don't we call another time? I don't want to disturb the other people."

"But we've called each other while you were in the library before," he says.

"Well... there are a lot of people today," I say.

"Really? On the last week of school?" he says. I have no idea what to say. "Well I know you're joking!" Wait what? 

I laugh awkwardly, "Duh."

"Hey Y/N, I'm sorry if this is really random, but I've been meaning to ask for a long time," he hesitates. "Are you going anywhere for summer break? I mean I understand if you and your family already have something planned, well George is coming all the way from England, I was just thinking, would you like to meet up?"

I am so shocked. All this time, he had wanted to ask the same question. "Y/N? If you don't want to I totally under-"

"No Dream," I say. "I'd love to, it's just I've also been wanting to ask you the same question!"

"Really?!" I hear him let out a breath and I realize I too haven't been breathing normally for the past few minutes.

"Yeah but well my family did already make plans..." I say. I squeeze my eyes shut. "We were planning to go to Florida. I wanted to ask if you wanted to meet up but I didn't want to seem like I was forcing you or that I was desperate, and I didn't think you'd want to meet up with me." I let it all out in a rush. I don't even know if he understood anything.

"Wait, you didn't tell me you are coming to Florida?" he says.

"Well I didn't want you to think..." I trail off.

"So you don't want to meet me?"

"N-no I do, I'm really sorry, I just have to talk to my parents, I-I I'm really sorry Dream," I say.

"Fine, I guess, talk to you later," he says and abruptly hangs up. His words feel like knives made of ice in my heart.

Author's Note: Thank you so much for more than 1K views!!! Sorry I can't update as frequently, I've been very busy. A kid tested positive at my school :( Please vote and comment, stay safe everyone!

9/15/2020