Chapter 7: 1 Million

Wednesday, January 1st, 2020!

I open my eyes and the first thought that goes through my head is that it's a whole new decade! It's also the last day of winter break. Today marks the end of so many things and the beginning of so much more.

I look out the window and smile. "It's snowing!" I shout.

Gracie jerks awake in the bed on the other side of the room. "Jeeze Y/N! What is it?" Then she looks outside and squeals. "We should go sledding, or skiing!"

We get ready and eat quickly. We run down the dorm hallways laughing loudly, our snow boots thumping against the tile flooring, without any regard to the other students at this early hour. We burst out of the front door and into the snow. It is snowing at just the right heaviness but it looked like there was a snowstorm over night. The whole world is washed in white. Ice crunches under our boots as we walk and my nose feels numb. The weak dawn light literally makes it all look like a surreal winter wonderland. I tilt my head up and catch snowflakes on my tongue. Gracie scoops up a handful of snow and throws it at me. Kevin and Mya, the two juniors I met last night, join us and we have a huge snowball fight. The other students will probably be mad at us for using up all the snow, though I don't think about it.

I yelp as I get hit in the back. I turn around and see Gracie laughing uncontrollably. "Hey! I thought we were friends," I yell and send a ball sailing at her. It misses by a mile which sets her off again, clutching her stomach.

Finally, when we are all sweating and can't feel out wet hands anymore, Gracie says, "I need a break. Y/N, what time even is it?"

I'm the only person who brought my phone. I have some trouble digging it out of my deep pocket. "7:30," I say. As Gracie and the other students talk, I decide to check something. I tug off my glove after a couple of failed attempts. I let out a happy shriek as I see the number on the screen. Gracie comes running over. "Dream is at a million subscribers!!!"

"Wow that's great!" she says.

"I'm going to call and congratulate him!" I say.

"Hey, you know him?" Kevin asks. Oops. I didn't realize he and Mya came over.

"Um, yeah we've talked a few times," I say.

"What?! Dude, that's so cool!" Kevin says. "Can we talk to him?" He suddenly looks like a little kid begging for some candy.

Mya must have seen my frantic expression so she says, "Hey Kevin, don't be rude. Dream probably doesn't want five people talking to him at once."

"Oh yeah, sorry," he says. I feel kind of bad but grateful.

"Could you show me the code you discovered a few days ago?" Mya asks Kevin. This seems to get him excited again and they run off towards the computer lab.

"Have fun Y/N," Gracie says with a smirk and walks off without a word. I stand there bewildered in the middle of an empty campus.

The moment Dream picks up I scream, "CONGRATS ON 1 MILLION!"

"What? Really?!" he says. "Oh my god! How did you know before me?! Thank you Y/N!"

I'm laughing at his reaction. "You didn't know?"

"No, I just woke up," he says. "I bet it was because of the manhunt video. It was very successful, I think I might do more of those videos!"

"I wish I could have seen your face when you realized you have a million subscribers!" I say as a joke. There is silence and I fear I may have stepped over a line. Stupid of me to think I could say something like that right after he complimented me.

"And you sound really happy, I wish I could see you happy," he says quietly. "And what you are happy about."

Even in this cold heat rushes to my face. "Uh, it's snowing," I say.

I hear him chuckle almost sadly. "I wish there was snow in Florida. I wish I could see the snow." I have no idea what to say. Suddenly the call ends and I stare at my phone confused. Was it something I said? Then a message pops up on my phone from Dream. "(phone number) I wish I could see you."

9/13/2020