Chapter 19: Universal

Sunday July 19th, 2020

Author's Note: I don't live in Orlando so sorry if this is not accurate, I'm writing this out of a tourist's (already forgetting) experience. I hope this chapter helps with your "quarantined for too long" minds!

"Why do you have your suitcase?" Gracie asks as we start driving. I'm thankful that she didn't question me when I first got in. She's like that. (Also it wouldn't have made sense for the plot hehe)

"Well..." I say. "I decided that I've been with Dream's family too long and I didn't want to bother them any more so I'll buy a hotel room for a few days."

Gracie looks at me with a raised eyebrow, but to my immense relief, she doesn't pry. "Well that's perfect! My annoying hotel gave me a room with two beds even though it wasn't what I booked! They gave it to some diamond member!" she says. "Which means you could stay with me if you want!"

"Really?" I ask.

"Of course, it'll be just like college!"

"Wow thanks Gracie, that would be great, until I figure out my plan of course," I add, thinking of Dream's parents and how I stayed there for too long. I won't make the same mistake twice.

"Who said I had a plan?" she asks. "I'll be here for as long as you need me."

Weird time jump again

—Thursday July 23rd, 2020–

"Where to?" Gracie asks.

"You know of course," I reply.

Ours eyes meet and we both grin. "Universal!" we shout at the same time. The timing is so perfect as the Universal sign appears up ahead. The blue trapezoid with the golden words Universal and underneath in a lighter blue, Orlando. A rush of excitement courses through me, similar to what I felt on the first day. Without discussion Gracie pulls into a nearby parking lot. I practically jump out of the car and we both run across the street. We laugh and try to catch our breaths as we take a picture in front of the sign.

"Let's go!" I say impatiently. We start walking deeper towards the park. There's a little trail that runs parallel to the road. We pass a lake that belongs to one of Universal's resorts. I'm literally bouncing from excitement when we climb the stairs and enter the gigantic security circle with all the people and metal detectors. We rush past that and soon we are walking with a huge crowd down the metal bridge. I see children waving plastic wands, and actual adults dressed in full Harry Potter gear. One couple held real HP broomsticks. Gracie and I run past them all. We squeal in excitement as the huge metal bridge sign welcomes us. WELCOME TO UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT.

"(I think) Universal Citywalk!" I exclaim

"(I think) Universal Citywalk!" I exclaim. Buildings line both sides of the street with so many shops and even a movie theater! We take a few pictures. For a moment, I can't help thinking what it would be like if Dream was here. I send a mental word of encouragement to him since his duel is today!

We couldn't go inside the actual park of course but we still walk to the entrance to take even more pictures. First we stop at the iconic Universal globe. Steam billows out from hidden sprayers and the lake spreads out behind it. The globe rotates slowly so we have to wait impatiently for the perfect angle where the whole word is visible. There are so many people, especially since it's summer beak. We have to wait a while to get our perfect picture.

We continue on to the Universal Studios entrance. I gaze up at the tan colored wall in wonder, with the huge main arch and smaller ones on each side.

 I gaze up at the tan colored wall in wonder, with the huge main arch and smaller ones on each side

After that I turn to Gracie and say, "Race you to the other side?"

With a grin and without a word she takes off running. I sprint after her. We earn more than a few glares from other tourists but I'm laughing too much to care. We run past the King Kong and Harry Potter Banners and stop together in front of the orange stone spire. We read the words, ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE.

What most people don't know is the difference between the two parks. Honestly I spent some of my childhood puzzling over this. By now Gracie and I are both Harry Potter and Universal experts. The Universal Orlando Resort theme park is split into two (or three). There is Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay, the new water park. Islands of Adventure in my opinion is more fun. Hogsmeade is located there, as well as the Hogwarts Castle. It's not as big as Diagonal Alley but the park as a whole has more fun attractions.

For the rest of the day we wander around Citywalk. I don't buy much, theme parks are always so expensive, but we end up eating lunch there.

(As you can tell I love Universal, sorry if you had to endure my long awaited expression of love!)

"You ready to head back to the hotel?" Gracie asks.

As we walk back towards the car, something depressing happens. It starts raining. It comes on without a warning. In just a few minutes, the sun is nowhere to be found and the sky is an endless gray. It's not too bad but we start running, shielding our heads with nothing but our hands. We finally make it to the car and we climb in, sighing with relief.

"My feet are so sore," I groan. Going to parks is surprisingly good exercise.

We make it to the Hilton we are staying at (I am not sponsored :). We walk through the sliding glass doors and into the main lobby. Since we already checked in a few days ago, we greet the receptionist and turn right towards the elevators.

I belly flop onto the bed next to window which I had already claimed. This day was going so perfectly.

"Hey I'm going to ask the front desk for more toothpaste. Be right back," Gracie says. I nod, still sprawled on the bed. After she leaves, I check the time. Four o'clock. Dream should be done with his duel by now. As I aimlessly scroll through my phone, I get a message. My eyes light up when I see it's from Katie. It's just two simple words.

"He lost."

I squint at them in confusion. This couldn't be possible! Then a second later another message pops up.

"He left. I think he's depressed. We can't find him anywhere."

Author's Note: Hahahahahaha oh no! This story has been an emotional roller coaster for Dream. I can't wait for the next chapter! Remember to vote! Thank you, we are almost at 20K!

10/20/2020