Chapter 3: Manhunt

Friday December 20th, 2019

"You're gonna miss me right?" Gracie asks as she wheels her luggage to the door.

"Of course I will, but have fun," I say.

"Christmas with my family, " she says with a thoughtful face. "Have I mentioned I have an annoying little brother?"

"At least a hundred times." We both smile.

"Alright, but you should really come with me. How can you possibly work during winter break?"

"Thanks, but I don't mind working at the school library."

"Well have fun I guess, I'll be back for Amelia's after break party and you better go with me."

"Ok," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes at me!" she says. "Bye Y/N!"

We wave at each other as she walks out the door. It is the first day of winter break and the university already feels so empty. I close the door behind Gracie and turn around with a sigh. I look around at the main room. There is a couch to the right, a desk on the left and a small kitchen which we practically never use. I walk into the bedroom. Her bed is for once neatly made and her books are in a pile of her desk.

It's 10:00 in the morning. My part time job starts at 1:30 in the afternoon. Dream and I chat every day, sometimes text and other times through a discord call. We had many good laughs together about his vague tweet. His fans were going crazy trying to figure out what it meant. He had long deleted it but with no explanation. I stare at my phone and debate whether to call him or not. I have absolutely nothing to do. I take a deep breath and click the button. It rings a few times before, to my delight, he picks up.

"Hey Y/N," he says. "You're calling early today."

"Sorry it's winter break and everyone is gone," I say. "I'm so lonely."

He laughs. "Well you called the right person."

"You better not disappoint me," I say.

"You're not doing anything for winter break?"

"Nope, I have a part time job at the library so that should soak up a lot of my time," I say.

"Wow you sound like a very bored person," he says in a depressing monotone.

"You sound like Technoblade," I say, laughing. "I see you're not doing anything special. Are you going anywhere?"

"Sorry to disappoint you-"

"Already?" I interrupt.

"Yeah, my winter break is going to be very boring. My younger brother is in high school and he's very busy," he says. I giggle at his annoyed tone. "I'm actually editing a video right now but I really don't want to. I'm just not feeling it."

"Well you're being lazy. I'm going to hunt you down and make you finish that video so I can have some entertainment!" I say. I can hear him wheezing like a kettle and it brings a smile to my face. Then a long abandoned thought occurs to me. "Dream! I have an idea!"

"What?"

"I thought of this a while back but forgot about it. I have an idea for a video you can make!"

"Yes please! I need something else to do," he says.

"You could do a Minecraft manhunt! You try to beat the ender dragon while someone hunts you!"

"That sounds like a great idea! I don't think anyone has done that before," he says, his tone suddenly thoughtful.

"To make it harder you can't die once but the person chasing you can respawn infinitely," I say.

"Wow you must really believe in me," he says jokingly.

"I do."

"Y/N," he says, his voice quiet. "Do you want to be my hunter?"

9/7/2020