Chapter 12: Above the Clouds

Sunday, July 12th, 2020

I wave at my parents as I step through the door and into the jet bridge. I practically run through the tunnel, even though I know it won't speed anything up. I have an odd love for airports. I love the way my luggage bounces over the metal connectors that hold together the different parts of the bridge. I give the flight attendants and pilot a huge smile as they welcome me aboard. I run down the aisle, causing my suite case to flip over a couple of times. As I wait for the person ahead of me to painstakingly stow their luggage in the over head bin, I bounce on my feet and smile at every person who makes eye contact with me. Finally, I shove my luggage into the compartment, slide into my blue seat, and press my face against the glass of my window. A window seat is always a requirement for me! Unfortunately it's not a sunny day, however my eyes scan every detail, the people, the planes, the cars, the trains, and the buildings. I even enthusiastically pay attention to when the flight attendants demonstrate how to use the seat belts. Nothing will go wrong on this flight. What I love most about plane rides is the knowledge that I will be in a completely different place when it's over.

When the plane gets into position on the runway, I send one last quick text to Dream and then my parents telling them we are taking off. Dream replies with "Can't wait to see you!" and then a bunch of smiley faces. I smile to myself. It's just past 12 o'clock, I should be in Orlando before three!

The plane starts picking up speed. I crane my head to continue looking outside. My grin widens as the plane gets faster and faster. I can feel anticipation building up inside of me, then I feel the plane lift off the ground and I lean back into my chair with a squeal of excitement.

I stare out the window for most of the plane ride, watching as the environment changes. All the little houses, and the cars driving down endless roads. I see parks, and baseball fields, and pools. When I am on planes I often wonder if the people below know I'm watching them.

I try talking to the person beside me though I don't think he can stand my overflowing excitement. I don't understand how he sleeps for the whole flight.

Finally, finally, finally! I see palm trees and sand and beaches. The houses are different, red clay roofs instead of shingles. The clear blue sky is dotted with fluffy white clouds. I want to shout in excitement when the flight attendant announces, "Attention passengers, we will be landing in just a few moments! It is currently 2:45 pm and 95 degrees in Orlando, Florida. We hope you enjoyed your flight with us today. Thank you for choosing United Airlines."

I squeal when the scene outside changes dramatically and the run way comes into view. I gulp repeatedly as we make our descent and pray my ears won't hurt too bad. The ground is coming fast and I brace myself as we thump onto the run way. I hear sighs of relief as the landing was relatively smooth. The guy beside me snorts, he's still somehow asleep.

I push my way into the aisle and grab my luggage. I then proceed to force through the crowd and am one of the first people to exit the plane, earning plenty of glares. I thank the flight crew, I would have hugged them if I had the time, and run along the tunnel. I skid to a startled stop as I round the bend and almost crash into the person in front of me. They are just standing there, without any luggage. They are holding their phone in front of their face. To my horror they take a picture of me! The phone lowers to reveal a man. 

"Dream!" I drop my suite case and run into his arms. I hear startled protests from behind me.

"Y/N!" he laughs as his arms wrap around me. I could never have dreamed of this moment.

"How did you get onto the jet bridge?" I ask, breaking away and looking up at his face. I'm surprised he didn't wear a mask, though I guess that is a perk for not revealing your identity to the world.

"I asked," he says.

"Did you use your incredible charm to convince the staff?" I tease.

"Of course," he says. He bends down and picks up my case for me. I didn't even notice it had toppled over and the other passengers had to leap over it to get pass us. "I can't believe you're really here."

"Me too, like I told you, friends don't lie," I say with a huge smile.

"Friends don't lie," he says with a nod.