Chapter 15: The Park

Wednesday, July 15th, 2020

"Come on Y/N!" Dream opens a drawer and takes out his car keys.

That was completely out of nowhere "What? Where are we going?" I ask.

"It's a surprise," he says with a smile. I consider my options. Mr and Mrs. Bryce are at work after apologizing for not taking care of their guest though I'm alright with it, they've been extremely nice to me so far. Katie is at work, Clara is at summer camp and Noah had to go to his school for some event.

"Ok fine, but is the surprise a place or an object?" I ask.

"You'll see," he says. "Now come on."

I don't like how I'm giving in so easily but my curiosity gets the better of me. I grab a plastic water bottle and my phone and we are both in the car in no time. I notice that Dream's fingers drum on the steering wheel, though can't tell if it is excitement or nervousness.

I scan our surroundings, wondering what could be the place we are driving to. After about ten minutes of silence I say, "Ok so I've come to the conclusion that you are kidnapping me."

Dream laughs. "You came willingly."

"But you've got no evidence," I say.

"Neither do you," he says. I frantically scan my brain for a smart response. Dream chuckles at my expression. "We're almost there!"

The scene around us changes slowly. I watch in amazement. All the houses and the streets fade away. The road becomes gravel instead of paved. Streetlamps and mailboxes are gone and are replaced by towering trees and then those are gone too and huge fields of wildflowers block out everything. Their colors are so natural, green, yellow, white, with dots of purple, red, and blue. I never knew such a big city like Orlando could have a place like this. "What is this place?" I gasp. I tear my gaze away from the window and look at Dream.

He's staring straight ahead with a small, peaceful smile. "It's a wildlife preserve."

The park must be huge since we drive for a couple of minutes, uphill mostly, before we reach a parking lot. There are no cars there. Dream cuts the engine and we climb out. I'm immediately hit with the sweet scent of blooming flowers. I squint my eyes as the sun blazes overhead. I walk over to a patch of flowers. They aren't like the ones we saw coming in. There are so many different varieties, petunias, shooting stars, and gladioluses, all with their own label.

I didn't even notice Dream walk up next to me. "That's my favorite," he says, pointing to one.

I love its color, a mix of lavender, indigo, and blue. "It is beautiful, it just hasn't bloomed yet," I say.

"It's called a Closed Bottle Gentian. It only opens when a bee comes to get pollen. It's special because it only blooms when it knows the time is right, and when it does, it is the most beautiful of them all," he says (A/N Ugh I don't know what I'm doing).

We are silent for a moment. I replay his words in my head. I can sense that there is more to what he said than what appears on the surface. (A/N I wanted to use this as a metaphor, Dream planned his career on YouTube for many months but when he did finally begin, he was extremely successful).

"Come on, there's even more to show you," Dream says. As I walk behind him, I notice something different in the way he walks. He's calmer, more at ease. He's no longer the screaming, wheezing gamer we all perceive him as. He looks back at me with a smile and my heart skips a beat.

We hike for a few minutes through a forest. Both of us respectfully silent, trying not to disturb the serenity of nature. I breathe in the cooler mountain air mixed with the fresh scent of leaves. I gasp in wonder as the forest suddenly falls away. Below us, a huge lake spreads out as far as the eye can see, it's blue and gray water still and calm. It's surrounded by towering green hills, big but not quite mountains.

My jaw is open as my eyes can barely comprehend the beauty. "I come here often," Dream says. I look over at him. He's still gazing out at the lake. We are standing very close, our arms almost touching. "Whenever I need time to think. It's one of my most favorite places." Now he turns and looks at me with those green eyes of his.

In this place it is easy to feel small when compared to the vastness of the Earth. Who are we in a universe of billions of people? But in this place, in this moment, it is just the two of us in the whole world.

Author's Note: Ok that was sooo random. Do they kiss? I don't know, you tell me! I promise it was an important scene and they will eventually but ugh I'm not good at this stuff. Anyways, hope you all liked it!

10/5/2020