Chapter 6: Party

Thursday, December 26th, 2019

I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing. I groan and open my eyes. I blink a few times to read the words on my phone clearly. I have an incoming discord call from Dream.

I answer. "Dream, what the heck? It's seven in the morning," I know my voice sounds whiny but I am definitely not a morning person.

He just laughs at my suffering. "I finished editing the video! I'm posting it now and I want you to be the first one who watches it."

This catches my attention and makes my heart pound in an abnormal way. "Wow thanks! But does it have to be this early?"

"Yeah so most people won't be up to watch it yet," he says.

I somehow crawl out of bed, boot up my computer and open YouTube. "Ok I'm ready," I say.

"One, two, three!" I hear a mouse click. I refresh my screen and there it is! Beating Minecraft, But My Friend Tries To Stop Me. 

Tuesday, December 31st, 2019

"Open it!" Gracie exclaims. She is still dressed for the weather outside but she was so excited she just threw her luggage on the ground and pushed a wrapped present into my hands.

"Wow Gracie! You didn't really have to," I say, getting flashbacks to Madi's Christmas visit. I was such a bad friend. I didn't get either of them anything. I open the box and gasp at the contents inside. "No way! Gracie!"

She squeals. "I know you've been wanting it for a long time!"

I lift a white hoodie out of the box. On the front it says 'All it takes is a :)' Slowly and gently I turn and read the words on the back. 'DREAM get it, dream big haha' Dream's 500k limited edition merch!

"Merry Christmas Y/N!"

--- After dinner ---

It's dark in the room. Music blares from a speaker and I'm getting claustrophobic from all the people surrounding me. A disco ball scatters colored light in every direction, making everything look fragmented. I focus on one thing, Gracie pulling me along through the crowd. She looks back and gives me a huge grin. I can't understand how she is so calm, well actually a better word would be excited.

"Come one Y/N!" she shouts over the music. "We just have to get past the initial group of people who don't know what they are doing here!" Did she mean me as well?

"Gracie! Y/N!" a voice shouts. We break out of the crowd and make it to the back of the house. Two figures come running towards us. "So glad you two could make it to the party!" Amelia says.

"Hey Y/N! We're matching again!" Madi says. We are both wearing the ugly Christmas sweaters. I had deemed Dream's hoodie too precious to wear to a party like this, in case someone spilled their drink on me.

Gracie gives me an odd look. That's when I realize I forgot to tell her about Madi's visit. However, before she can say anything, Amelia says, "Come on, let's go dance!" The two of them head off to the main room but Madi notices me hesitate.

"I'm not a great dancer, I think I'll go grab a drink," I explain.

"You sure? No one really cares if you are a bad dancer, we're just here to have fun," she says.

"No really, I'm good," I say. She gives me one last look and hurries after Gracie and Amelia.

I sing under my breath as I walk towards the refreshment table. I can't dance but I can sing. My voice isn't that great, nevertheless I can still match the pitches. I also know how to play the piano, but I'm never going to do that at a party with so many people. To my delight I find a jug of hot cocoa. As I'm pouring myself a cup I over hear a conversation. I turn so fast I almost drop the whole steaming hot jug.

"I love that video so much," a girl says.

"Dream is the best, and he's growing so fast," the guy standing next to her says. 

I try to casually approach them. I dodge a few people and almost spill my drink a few times before I reach them. "Hey," I say. They both turn to look at me.

"Hey your Y/N right?" the girl says.

"Yeah," I say. "How did you know?"

"Well this is a senior party so we are kind of required to know all of you," she says. "We're juniors."

It is rare for juniors to be at parties hosted by seniors so I understand what she means. "I don't think I know you."

"My name's Mya, and this is Kevin," she gestures with her head at the boy.

"Nice to meet you," I say. "I heard you guys talking about Dream?" Well that was random.

"You've heard of this guy too?" Kevin says, his face lighting up.

"Yeah, I love his videos!" I say, which is an understatement.

"Did you watch his manhunt video? It's incredible!" he says.

This completely surprises me. I knew the video was doing well but had no idea it would even reach the people in my university.

9/11/2020