Chapter 18: Hello, Goodbye

July 19th, 2020

--Three days later--Sunday--

My eyes crack open and I groan. Three days and Dream has still been ignoring me. Well, it's not too obvious but I know in the way he doesn't look at me or doesn't say anything unless it is necessary. I don't know if his family can tell, they've still been very nice. I check my phone and realize it's only seven in the morning. I step out into the hallway and listen for a moment. It's completely silent. All the upstairs doors are closed. I decide to go downstairs and maybe even surprise them with breakfast. How could Dream be mad at me after that?

I carefully take a step and wince as it creeks. I grip the railing, thinking that it might lift some of my weight off the steps. Light pours in from the huge window above the front door. I admire the morning light for a moment. Fog veils the sun and transforms the trees into mere gray blobs.

As I'm about to turn left and head into the kitchen, I hear whispered voices. I tilt my head and let my feet lead me towards the sounds. They seem to be coming from the master bedroom, the only actual room on the first floor, apart from the bathroom. I glance around quickly to make sure that no one is there. I feel bad but curiosity gets the better of me. I place my ear on the crack in between the door and its frame. The voices are clearer now. They sound urgent and angry.

"No! I'm not going to force her out!" I immediately recognize it's Dream's voice. I lean in closer.

"I understand that she's your friend but she can't stay here forever!" My eyes widen as I realize who they are talking about. It was Dream's dad who spoke.

"She is a wonderful girl but you have to tell us your plan," I pull back a little, this time it's Dream's mom. What do they mean? My head is spinning out of control.

"No! We're done with this conversation!" Dream practically shouts and I hear footsteps. I whip around and run towards the stairs. Right as I'm about to place my foot on the first step, Dream spots me. His eyes go wide. I try to control my breathing. Act casual.

"Oh hi Y/N," he says.

"Morning Dream," I say.

"So did you just wake up?" he asks.

Act casual. Actual casual. "Yeah, I didn't know anyone else was awake." At that moment Dream's mom comes around the corner. She literally does a double take when she sees me.

"Oh good morning Y/N! You're up early!" she says. "That means it's time to wake up the others. Those sleepy heads," she says with a sarcastic eye roll and smiles at me.

In no time I am seated at the kitchen table and I can't help feeling out of place. Now, every time one of them gives me smile, I can't help thinking that behind those masks lurk their true feelings about me. I don't know if they were all in on it, or it was just a conversation between Dream and his parents.

After breakfast I rush upstairs. I need time to think. I check my phone and realize that I have a text from Gracie. "Hey bestie! I've got exciting news! I'm coming to Orlando tomorrow!!! Wanna meet up?"

I almost faint in relief. Gracie, always coming to save me. "OBVIOUSLY!" I text back.

"YES! How about outside of Universal?" she writes. That's when I realize I have no way of getting there.

"Sorry I can't, no car," I type.

"Haha same!" she says. "I got a rental. I'll come pick you up tomorrow if that's ok with Dream's family."

"Thanks Gracie, I'll talk to them."

"8 o'clock?"

"Sounds perfect," I say.