Chapter 10: The End, The Beginning

Saturday May 2nd, 2020

I look back at the space I'd inhabited for the past four years, now barren and deserted. I'm hit by a wave of nostalgia. For the past few days I'd been so caught up thinking about Dream, it never truly occurred to me how much things were about to change. I look around the room. It's like we were never here. Gracie's smile emoji pillow was gone from the couch. The sink had no dirty plates needing to be washed. Our decorations were striped from the walls. Would the new college freshman next year think about who had lived here before them? I surely never had. I can still remember that first day I arrived and stepped through this door to find Gracie sitting on her bed. I remember us laughing together while chatting on the couch, and the two of us giggling during class. So many people have come before us, walked the campus paths and sat in our chairs during lectures. Probably hundreds of people have passed through this door which I was about to exit, each one believing this room belonged to them. In some ways it did, I considered it my home. The room is temporary for each person, but the memories are not.

"You ready?" Gracie asks from outside.

"Yeah," I nod. I take a deep breath and straighten myself. "Let's go." We walk down the hallway together for the last time. It is not very crowded since most students left yesterday. Because Gracie and I are seniors, we had the graduation ceremony yesterday! I was so proud when I got dressed in my cap and gown and received my diploma from the president of the university! My parents had come, I was a little worried since my dad was still sick. He kept sneezing, but he insisted he was fine. We, including my friends and their families, had celebrated all night.

We enter the elevator, pulling our suite cases in with us. The excitement of last night has made me tired. When the elevator doors open, I am completely surprised to find a crowd of people waiting for us! The whole staff of this dorm are there, all cheering and clapping. I can't help but smile. I push my earlier thoughts aside and realize yes things are changing, things are changing for the better.

I let excitement take over my emotions. I remember the thrill and pride I felt last night, and the fact that I will see Dream tomorrow! TOMORROW I will see Dream! I try not to let it consume all my thoughts, it makes me too giddy! Gracie whoops and I wave at the crowd, a little shy.

"We graduated!" Gracie shouts.

Everyone is smiling. I walk over to the staff and thank them.

"Y/N and Gracie, you were always the ones who said hi to us. I can't believe you both already graduated," the security lady says. We exchange hugs and she even becomes a little teary. After more goodbyes, Gracie and I finally walk out the door. Madi and Amelia are just coming down the street. We all decided to meet here and wait for our parents together.

"Hey!" Madi shouts and waves at us. They sprint down the sidewalk towards us. We all hug each other and laugh when our suite cases tip onto the pavement.

"Promise we'll stay in touch?" Amelia asks.

"Always," Gracie says, with a nod.

"For all eternity," Madi says.

"Friends forever," I finish.

Four cars come rolling down the road. Our parents wave at us from inside. One car parks in front of each of us. I open the silver door and push my luggage inside. "Ready?" I ask. We all exchange glances and giggle, another one of our many inside jokes. "One, two, three!"

Together, Gracie, Madi, Amelia, and I, step into our separate cars, leaving university forever as one.

--------------------

It is 9 pm and I am watching TV. We are all tired after a long day of more celebrating and me adjusting to me new old room. Mom is sitting next to me while dad washes the dishes. I had told him to use the dish washer or wait until tomorrow, but he had insisted that it wasn't too much.

As I watch a family tour a house they want to buy, a hear clang from behind me. I whip around on the sofa and see my dad clutching his stomach and a shattered plate on the floor.

"Oh my god! (Dad's name) are you alright?" my mother screams as she hurries over to him. I rush over as well and turn off the faucet.

Pain is etched all over my dad's face, making is wrinkles even deeper. He suddenly looks so frail, fear washes over me. I want to relieve him of this pain. I'm frozen. I can't do anything but stare. He sinks to his knees. His mouth moves as if he wants to speak.

"(Dad's name)!" mother screams again. "Y/N! Call the police!"

I move sluggishly and dial 911 with shaking hands.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"Please, we need an ambulance! Send an ambulance!" I sound hysterical even to myself. "My dad, I don't know! He's-he's-"

"Calm down," the woman on the line says. "Just tell me what's wrong."

"My dad is in pain, he just suddenly clutched his stomach and sank to the floor. He's in pain! He can't even talk!" I scream.

"Ok, tell me the address," she says and I do. "Ok I've sent an ambulance. Just hang on."

2.5k reads!?!?! Thank you so much everyone! Just hang on, Dream is coming soon!

9/21/2020