Chapter 20: I'll Be There to Save the Day

"He lost."

"We can't find him."

I stare at my phone. My mouth is hanging open. My brain just can't comprehend those words. This can't be possible!

A sudden rush of guilt floods through me. I shouldn't have just forgotten about him and gone to Universal with Gracie. I should have been there.

Suddenly my head snaps up and a thought occurs to me. I move my thumbs as quickly as I can and reply Katie with two simple words, "I'll try."

I look around the room frantically. I grab Gracie's car keys from the dresser and yank open the heavy hotel door. I sprint down the empty hallway, my footsteps muffled by the carpet. Doors flash past me and I turn a sharp corner. I jam my finger on the elevator button and bounce impatiently as it travels up to me. The moment I here the ding and the doors open a crack I jump in. I spam the close door button. I watch at the numbers tick down. I sigh in relief as it reaches the Lobby floor without making any stops. As I rush out of the elevator I slam into Gracie.

"Woah Y/N!" she exclaims, as a tube of toothpaste goes flying into the air.

"He-he lost," I pant. Her eyes widen and quickly glance at the keys I'm holding, and without a word steps to the side. I race past and shoot a grateful look back. She gives me a nod. I almost slam into the automatic glass doors as they don't open fast enough. Other hotel guests give me curious glances. I sprint across the hotel parking lot and jump into the car and start the engine.

Instead of turning right towards Dream's house, instinct tells me to go the other way. I drum my fingers on the steering wheel and scan the road for potential police cars. (I do not encourage speeding kids)

I curse under my breath as the rain suddenly intensifies, striking my windshield like small pebbles. Everything is a hazy gray. Finally, finally the scene around me starts to change and I am the only one on the road. Unlike before, I don't pay much attention to the wildlife, now blurred in this weather. As quickly as I can, I wind my way through the park. I jam the break pedal and pull into a parking spot. There's only one other car in the lot.

The smell of rain and wet vegetation hits my nose. I merely glance at the purple closed bottle gentians and sprint towards the trail head. I get soaked in an instant as I half run half stumble through the forest. The rain and wind hit my face like little knifes. I realize I left everything in the car, including my phone. I have no way of keeping track of time. I'm on my own now. I just have to hope that I'm right about this.

I slip in the wet mud a few times and realize how I must look in this terrible weather. I try not to notice how the trees are now just black towers looming above me. I stumble over a root and then stub my toe on a rock. Finally the trees clear up and I break free of their grasp. The rain hits me even harder.

I squint my eyes against the pouring rain. Water drips down my face. I'm breathing hard. There, up ahead, a figure stands facing away from me, a dark silhouette against the gray background. "Dream!" I shout. The wind whips my voice away. He shows no reaction, his back still hunched and head down. I run through the rain towards him. When I reach him he's still a statue. I place a hand on his left arm, "Dream! I'm so sorry I-"

He suddenly turns his head and looks at me. Our eyes meet for a split second before my words are cut off by his lips on mine. It lasts for only a second before I pull back startled. I look up at him. He's searching my face intently with those eyes... Those eyes... I barely breathe the word, "Clay."

Something shifts in his gaze. So subtle. A relaxing of the brow. The slight parting of his mouth. That's when I realize that was the first time I'd ever called him Clay, his real name. In that moment he is no longer Dream, the funny Minecraft YouTuber. He is Clay. My Clay. I still believe that made the second kiss even better.

YOU HAVE PERMISSION TO SQUEAL!!!

It is done! All that writing for this moment! I'm so happpyyyy!!

10/23/2020