Chapter 5: Christmas Alone

Wednesday, December 25th, 2019 Christmas Day

I wake up and see a few texts along with a discord message from Dream. "Merry Christmas Y/N!"

I smile but then it fades. Something twinges in my chest. Disappointment. He hadn't even bothered to call me or say anything more meaningful. I shake my head. He's just a friend, you don't expect your other friends to call or give you a lengthy text. 

I send a quick text back and get ready for the day.

I have absolutely nothing to do. Dream is working on editing the manhunt video. In the end he chose to play with his friend GeorgeNotFound. I have to admit a part of me is disappointed, but I think George was a good person to play with. He is very funny, I like his accent, and he screams a lot. I asked Dream not to show me the video yet. I want to see it like everyone else when he posts it.

My Wattpad story is getting thousands of views but I don't feel like writing anything today. It's Christmas after all.

My phone rings and it's a call from my friend Madi, well she's technically Gracie's friend so she's my friend as well. What could she be calling about? I answer, "Hey Madi, what's up? I thought you went home for winter break."

"Oh my god you won't believe what happened. My flight got cancelled because of the weather," she says.

"But it's not snowing in MA," I say.

"Yeah but it was in New Jersey. I literally had to stay in the airport over night and then they just said ok go back home. Y/N I am sleep deprived and tired and I don't know what to do!" her voice is rising with every word. Suddenly her voice returns to normal and it's almost happy. "So I heard you aren't going anywhere either. You wanna come over and celebrate Christmas together?"

That is so unexpected I have nothing to say. "B-but aren't you going home for winter break?"

"Well yeah but not today. I booked a flight for tomorrow," she says.

"Uh, ok sure," I say. "I'll be over in a few minutes."

"Actually, I'll come over. My roommate left her stuff all over our room and I don't mind walking in the cold," she says.

"Oh wow thanks," I say.

"Ok see you soon!" she says and hangs up. I am so shocked and flustered I just sit there for a few seconds. Madi and I only have two classes together. I shake my head and think, she decided to come over only because she has nothing better to do. But then I can't help thinking how she had offered to walk in the cold all the way to my dorm.

I rush around the room to tidy up everything. I hadn't bothered decorating since I thought it was just going to be me.

About 10 minutes later there is a knock at the door and a voice, "Hey Y/N! It's me Madi!"

I rush over and open the door. Madi is standing there dressed in a heavy winter coat, a beanie hat on her head and thick gloves covering her hands. Her cheeks are red from the cold. And to my horror and surprise, she is holding two wrapped boxes.

"You brought presents?" I say, as she steps inside.

"Well of course! It's Christmas!" she says.

"When did you have time to get them?" I ask.

"Ok fine, it was supposed to be for my sister but I thought I should bring you something if I was going to bother you on Christmas," she says.

"W-wow thanks," I say. She takes off her winter gear and throws them onto the couch, shaking her hazelnut hair loose.

"They are matching ugly Christmas sweaters!" gesturing to the two boxes she placed on the desk. "Here open yours," she says and pushes the red one towards me and taking the green for herself.

I slowly rip away the wrapper and open the box. Inside is a truly beautifully ugly red and green Christmas sweater. I hold mine up in wonder. "Madi, you really didn't have to."

"Aw don't be like that," she says. We put them on and laugh at the hilarious design. "Now we are matching!"

"But I don't have anything for you," I say.

"It's alright, you are always here for me. Merry Christmas Y/N!" this catches me off guard but she doesn't seem to notice the shocked look on my face. "We need to decorate this place. Do you want to make some cookies too?"

"Sure, though I've never really gotten into cooking," I say.

"Perfect, I can teach you," she says with a large smile. We dig through the pantry and find most of the ingredients. "This baking soda expired a month ago," Madi says. I duck my head in embarrassment. "It's perfect," she says and flings it onto the counter.

"If I get sick tomorrow it's gonna be your fault," I say. We laugh and talk as we make cookies, not paying enough attention to what we are doing. At one point I forget how many eggs I added because I am cracking up at an egg joke she made. Then she flings a handful of flour at my face. We pretend to have a snowball fight with kitchen ingredients. Let's just say it ended with both of us lying on the floor trying to breathe through our laughs.

While the cookies are baking we decide to make some Christmas decorations. We couldn't find any colored paper so we make snowflakes and tape them to the window. We have both lunch and dinner together. I have to admit Madi is an amazing cook.

By the time she says she has to go it's past 8 pm. I feel sad as I watch her go. It's one of the best Christmas's I've ever had. We didn't mention Gracie even once. I had always considered my friends to be Gracie's, now I'm realizing I might actually have some of my own.

9/9/2020