Chapter 21

===Scarlett's POV===

I don't think I've seen Foxy in such a way. I've never seen him break down like that before. Vividly I remember his outburst of rage when he broke away from Mangle. There is no way that I could ever understand what went through his head after everything that happened to him, but I think that pushing Mangle away as he did was the biggest mistake that he has ever made. No matter how close I get with him and how much I know about him, I could never be a replacement for Mangle. She saw a part of him that no one could've known existed. This soft, fragile side that was shut away from the light and replaced with this side of him that is so cold and distant. Even though I absolutely hate when his sorrow gets the better of him, but I wish that I could be as strong as he is. He may not believe that he is, but he is one of the strongest people I've ever known. He has gone through so much shit and every day he wakes up and lives. Every day he wakes up and pulls this heavy, somber coffin of regret and anguish, just praying that his feet won't give out from under the weight.

I couldn't help but consider all these things as I continued to talk with him late into the night. He seems to be a bit better now, even going as far as to crack a small smile. Something I so desperately missed seeing. Before when I would see his smile, it was always full of such warmth and euphoria. Now... I can't explain how or why, but it makes me wistful and concerned.

"What's the matter?" He requests of me and I'm captured off guard. Did he just read my- No. That's not possible. Maybe he just read it through my eyes. That's it.

"Hmm? Nothing. I just got wrapped up in thought is all." I say playing off the thoughts and returning to our conversation.

"I asked what you'd like to do while I'm back home." Foxy repeats his question, and for a moment I sift through a few thoughts. I know that he doesn't have much time to be home so I've got to make it count while I can.

"Could we... go to the bowling alley?" Foxy just laughs at this idea and I do too. Out of everything that we could do in a few days, I can only come up with going to a cheap and somewhat run-down bowling alley.
"Okay, okay, not the bowling alley. Maybe, we could go see a band or something?" Now this idea does spark an interest for Foxy. His eyes light up a bit and a small smile does cross his face.

"Yeah!" He responds promptly with an enthusiasm in his voice that I missed hearing. But something changes in his eyes. The flame of joy that was in his eyes seems to dim a bit and his usually cold and stone-like appearance, softens. Something that I have rarely seen happen.

"Foxy? What's the matter?" I now inquire of him and he shakes his head with a small, melancholy smile.

"Oh, it's nothing... I was just thinking I would... go see dad tomorrow." I can feel myself mimicking Foxy's features and following suit with how he's feeling, though slightly worse. I never got the chance to meet him. Never got the chance to hear his voice or see his face. Only in old photographs. The thought makes me slightly bitter. How come I never got the chance to meet him? How come I was the one that was born out of his sin? How come Foxy was the one who was favored most by him? NO! I can't start thinking like that. Everything that happened was just as it was supposed to. If none of that happened, I wouldn't be here. I think, snapping myself away from my overtaking notions and speaking once more.

"Would it be... alright if I went with you?" I ask a little nervous that he'd deny my request. But against my anxiety, Foxy grants my request with an honest smile.

"I'm sure that dad would love to see you."

===============

Scarlett and I sit in silence as we head to see dad. It's weird driving down these roads again. I haven't been to see my dad since before I went to high school. It wasn't because I was busy or I was tired, I just couldn't bring myself to. I was angry. Confused... and depressed. I couldn't face my dad like that, even if he is gone. And then I met Scarlett and learned about what my father did. After that, I couldn't face him because I was angry with him, angry that he could be so unfaithful to my mom, but after a while and after getting to know Scarlett I've come to forgive him and I'm sure mom has too. Any way that I look at it I just can't make any sort of excuse to not see him. I need more clarity than I've been given and my therapist says that this will help. I'm desperate and I'm willing to try anything.