Chapter 22

===Foxy's POV==

Good things never last. That's the lesson I've so desperately tried not to learn. I wanted the life I had to last forever. I wanted that happiness to last forever. But that's not the hand that I was dealt. For a long time, I wasn't alright with that outcome. For a long time, I wouldn't accept it. Now it's different. Though my open wound has yet to heal itself, I'm alright. A sort of light has come back into my sight, a light of hope. One I never thought I would ever see again. It's time to move on.

"Isn't this place awesome!" Scarlett has to shout in order for me to hear over the music that emits from the stage with an unrelenting force. Some small indie/alternative rock band I've never heard of is playing as the opening act tonight while a whole host of people all drink and vibe with the music. It's all irritating honestly to hear. But I'm more wrapped up in the music. The way it makes the people in the room move and acts could be described as something hypnotic. But not to me, I can see past it. I can see how it affects everyone, even Scarlett whose eyes are filled with awe and wonder.

"Yeah, I can't believe that I didn't know about this place while I was in high school!" I have to shout back in order for my response to be heard.

"Well maybe if you weren't such a hermit and actually allowed yourself to have fun, maybe you would've!" She laughs back at me, and I can't help but chuckle at her brutal honesty. I look over at her while gazed is fixed upon the band on stage. Her expression is so bright and happy, and I can tell she feels the same inside. How I've longed for that sense of happiness, and I suppose that I'm not far off from it now. It's just within my grasp. All I have to do is keep getting better. I'll make progress, and move past this void I've once again fallen into. The night is always darkest before the morning.

"Thank you everyone! We're Running On Empty and the show will really start after a short break!" The bands' lead vocalist says into the microphone as their song ends and the applause and cheering calms itself. I find it a little disheartening, seeing them leave the stage. I was actually enjoying their music, reminding me of my first real show with Bonnie, Freddy, and Chica. It was in a place very much like this one, except, back at college. Now that I think about it, it feels strange being back home. I feel so, out of place here. Like, I'm a piece of a puzzle that's been stuck in the wrong place. A place that it does not belong. Am I... getting homesick? Homesick for college? That's odd... you'd figure that it would be the other way around.

"Foxy? You okay?" Scarlett asks with only a touch of concern. I had been so enveloped in my own thoughts that I entirely missed her first question.

"Huh? Sorry, what was that?" I quickly recover with a nervous chuckle.

"They're doing an open mic night. You should get up there." She repeats with a devious smile on her face. But I quickly shut down the idea with grounded stubbornness.
"Aw, that's too bad... Because I already signed you up!" Scarlett, with a cheeky, evil, smile holds up a signup sheet, showing me where my name is. It's not that hard to spot as it's the only name on the damn list.

"SCARLETT!" I practically yell out of grief.
"Why?!" I plead with her with an overdramatic sorrow woven within my voice.

"Because I haven't heard you perform in a while. And I like hearing you sing." She says this with a devious smile on her face as she pulls out from behind her a black guitar case.
"I even took the liberty of grabbing your guitar for you."

"Is that what you put in the trunk!" I exclaim, laying my head across the table, really trying to drive my point across that this is something that I don't want to do. But as I raise my head to say something more, a man, probably in his late twenties, early thirties, walks on stage and takes the microphone.