Chapter 10

Marinette looked up from the counter, which she had been hiding her red face in, when the bell chimed and the door opened. A family of three walked in, a cute little girl excitedly tugging on her dad's hand.

"Come on, come on! I want to see what cool colours there are!" she squealed and jumped up, almost seeming to be suspended in the air. 'It must've been a trick of the eye.' The bluenette thought, shaking her head.

The dark skinned woman with long pink hair replied too quietly for Marinette to hear. The little girl stopped jumping but still ran to the crayon section, while her.

Like the good employee she was Marinette walked over to them.

"Hi! What were you thinking of drawing?" Marinette asked the girl, while her parents wandered a little ways away but still in sight.

"I don't know," she frowned, "But I think I'm going to draw Starfire!" suddenly remembering the manners grandpa Alfred had taught her she introduced herself, "Oh, and my name is Mar'i!"

Marinette smiled softly and replied, "My name is Marinette, but my friends call me Mari."

"We're name twins!" Mar'i shouted excitedly.

Marinette grinned before affirming, "That's awesome!" without a single trace of sarcasm.

The two girls immediately hit it off. Although Mar'i was only six, Marinette loved her and already considered her a little sister. They talked about their opinions on the teen titans and heroes in general.

What neither of them noticed was Mar'i's dad, Dick, talking quietly into a phone. After Damian had come to the manor in a daze, an uncharacteristic flush to his cheeks, Dick had made it his mission to find out what had caused it.

"She's good with kids and seems really nice. No wonder little D spends so much time here. We need to set them up, I ship it."

"Come back again!" Marinette said.

"Okay, see you soon Mari number two!" Mar'i giggled.

"Shouldn't you be Mari number two? After all, you're the smallest!" The bluenette teased.

"Come on sweetie," Mar'i's dad said, smiling.

Mar'i grabbed his hand, along with her mother's, but not before waving cutely. Marinette found herself with lips upturned at the corner, without forcing it, something that hadn't happened much before she came to Gotham.

"doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo doo doo doo doo-oo!" The teen's ringtone sounded.

A glance at the screen was all it took to see who was calling. Her parents. Wow, it only took them four days to actually call her. As the bakery increased in popularity it had resulted in Tom and Sabine to be more distant, always baking for the larger amount of customers. Marinette understood, she really did! They loved to bake, and it was their only source of income. Her parents knew Mari was independent enough too. But still the girl wished they were as attentive as they had been during her 1-15 year old years. It was a little bit of a bitter subject.

"Yes, Maman and Papa?"

"Honey, are you okay? Adrien said he would go find you so we didn't bother to call ourselves. He is such a nice boy. We don't know why you never got together! Also a girl from your graduation class, Lila-"

Marinette cut in, interrupting them, "Lila has nothing to do with this, I just thought I would come to Gotham earlier to get accustomed to it. And Adrien has been harassing me, not that you'd notice."

"Oh, if that's all. Bye," apparently they decided to ignore the harassing part. It made Marinette's blood boil that they had only called several days later, and didn't even check up on her properly! When had it gotten this bad?

She scowled, the previous smile that had adorned her face gone. The conversation, only lasting a minute, had set her in a bad mood for the whole day. By the time lunch rolled around and Damian didn't show up, Marinette was increasingly sourer. She had been looking forward to seeing him, but apparently she wasn't worth his time.

The next moment she sighed, somehow finding it hard to think badly about him. Marinette's logic told her that he was definitely not obligated to see her, and was probably just busy. Still, a large part of her was disappointed. Hmmmmmm. Only a few days of knowing him, and she already had developed a-

The door opened, cutting off her thoughts. Mari forced a weak smile onto her face, although it turned into more of a grimace. As soon as the girl looked up, her eyes caught on a pair of deep green ones. The faker-than-Lila smile made way for a real one.

"Dami!"

"Tt, do not call me that ridiculous nickname." His face had a look of annoyance, but his tone had a hint of warmth.

Ah, he was back to the surly stranger from their first meeting. Well hopefully that would change. Marinette wanted him to loosen up a little.

"You didn't complain before." she smirked.

The both of them blushed as their thoughts drifted to the small peck Marinette had given him. It was only on the cheek, so why did Damian feel like his heart was bursting every time he thought of it? He must have pulled a muscle during the drug bust the previous night.

"Hey." Damian suddenly saw Marinette waving a hand in front of his face, and swatted it away.

"You zoned out a little there." She told him.

"Just thinking of you." he smirked back.

Marinette smiled and lightly hit his arm, which surprisingly stung a little. Damian rubbed it jokingly.

"Okayyyyyyy," she drew out the word a moment later, "So do you want to go get lunch again?"

Damian's reply was immediate. "I would love to, Marinette."

Her smile brightened dazzlingly as she took his arm and dragged him out the door, the bell jingling.

"Let's go, I want to try the salad at the cafè I've been going to! And also, guess what..."

A determined Marinette Dupain-Cheng was a sight to behold, as Damian soon found out. She really was quite strong, pulling him by the hand as easily as Todd shot a gun.

"No dawdling, Monsieur Dami!"

Okay, so a short chapter. I wont be updating so often either, so sorry abt that. I cant believe i actually have 10,000 words now! That's the most I've ever written for one story. Thank you for the comments, I love reading them! Also,

 Thank you for the comments, I love reading them! Also,

I CANT BELIEVE I HAVE SO MANY READS AND VOTES