Chapter 14

"Marinette. Are you okay?"

She turned around from the officer she had been talking to.

"Oh hey Dami! Uh yeah. I'm a little shaken up but I got a good rant in!" she smiled.

"And a few punches." was the wry response.

"W-well u-um it was o-only self defence." she stuttered, and guess what? Blushing.

"You have impressive technique. If you are up to it, you would make an acceptable sparring partner."

"Really?"

"Of course," Damian scoffed, "I wouldn't offer if I didn't think you were able to keep up with me."

Marinette practically was a tomato from the high praise. Okay, so maybe it wouldn't be high praise from someone else, but from Dami? It definitely was.

"U-uh, sure I would love to!" Noooooooooo! Why did she stutter again! Marinette had thought her teen years were done!

Damian's lips curved upwards a little bit. Angel had many personalities, it seemed. Her flustered one was especially cute. The officer Marinette had been conversing with was staring in disbelief. Damian smirked slightly at the sight. Which made the officer's eyes widen even more.

"Is her interrogation over?" Damian asked in a flat voice.

"Y-yes."

Damian turned back to Marinette to grab her hand. She quickly waved to the lady and took off after her friend.

"Dami!" *huff*, "Why are you so," *puff*, "Fast?"

"Because I'm not short like you, Angel."

"Angel?" she teased.

"I-if it makes you uncomfortable I won't-" Damian tried to hold his composure.

"Relax, Dami!" they had slowed to a walk, "I'm just teasing!" Marinette bopped his nose playfully, causing Damian to draw back in surprise. And frown right after of course.

"So would you- my siblings were asking if you wanted to join them for lunch at the... house sometime. They are very excited to meet you." His eyes were pleading, but for what?

"Do you want me too?"

"I do not want you to meet my siblings, but it would be nice to have lunch with you."

Marinette was a little hurt, and it showed in her eyes. Damian hurried to reassure her.

"The only reason I am hesitant for you to meet my family is because they are embarrassing and might smother you."

"Oh, well Jason was funny, and your other family members sound nice. But if you're not comfortable that's fine."

He looked at her with his piercing, beautiful, mesmerizing- wait where was she going with this? He then looked oddly defeated.

"I'll tell them you'll be coming." He muttered, so quietly that it was almost impossible to hear him. However, Marinette did and squealed.

"Really, when?! But only if you are sure."

"Is tomorrow fine?"

"Of course! I can't wait!" Damian could. He could not imagine what chaos would transpire the following day. However, he could make the assumption that if the imbeciles did not scare her not much would. Not that he cares if she never talks to him again. No, he definitely did not care if that happened.

"I'll pick you up at work."

"Sure!" Marinette beamed joyfully. Well if it made Angel happy...

Damian realized they had just been walking around aimlessly for a while. He checked his phone, and it was almost her lunch break.

"Do you want to get lunch? It is your lunch break now."

"Oh, it is? I didn't notice. Yeah I would love too! Maybe to that place you took me too before?"

"Of course."

The walk was peaceful. Most of the time they walked in silence, not feeling the need to fill it. Hand in hand, the two looked like a couple. If you told them that though they would deny it until they died.

They eventually got to the street and walked inside. As Damian and Marinette sat down the door burst open and screams erupted. People stood up and ran around in panic. Damian grabbed Marinette and pulled her to the side. Marinette was currently glaring at the villain, who soon everybody knew was a Joker imposter.

"We just have to wait for the bats to get here." Damian told her quietly. Neither liked it, but they couldn't just take the fake Joker down because it would cause too many questions. It went silent in the diner which made the back of Marinette's neck tingle.

It was only then she realized how secluded her and Dami were, and how close together. Damian, when trying to get away from the crowd, had pulled her close. Very close. He apparently was noticing too. Marinette stared into his deep emerald eyes, entranced. He stared into hers as well. Unconsciously they both began to lean closer, eyes fluttering closed.

The sound of a window shattering reached their ears, causing Marinette and Damian to jerk apart, matching red flushes on their cheeks.

"We should-"

"Uh yeah."

Marinette's eyes flitted around the inside of the diner. Nightwing was tying up the fake Joker and Red Hood seemed to be staring right at them. If Marinette didn't know better she would've thought he was smirking. Marinette turned her head to look at Damian and he was glaring at Red Hood. She didn't comment on it though, it seemed like Dami glared at everyone. Marinette's mind began to wander to the moment just a few minutes ago. The blush resurfaced. Were they going to kiss? Or maybe-

"Do you wish to go home for the day?"

"Are you trying to find out where I live?" She teased.

"No, I just was wondering if you have had enough excitement for today."

Marinette thought.

"No, I think I can go back to work."

"I'll walk you?"

Marinette grabbed his hand in answer.

Damian studied the petite woman holding his hand. It was odd, he had never liked touching, associating it with punishment. It appeared that not all touching was bad. Damian remembered his and Grayson's conversation the previous day. 'Do you have her number yet?'

Oh. Right. Well, he might as well ask when they had reached the destination. Which they had reached, Damian just hadn't noticed.

"So... see you later?"

"Yes. Marinette, would you like to exchange numbers so I can contact you for tomorrow?"

"Yep!"

Marinette entered the art store to see her boss waiting for her.

"That boy compliments you nicely."

"Uh- well- I-I uh- um." Devon took pity on the poor girl and handed her some cash [because he just has some idk].

"This is your weekly paycheck."

"But I haven't even been here for a week!" Marinette protested.

Devon gave her a look. "Just take the money."

Marinette reluctantly accepted it and took up her station. The rest of the day thankfully passed without much action. Needless to say the woman was dead tired. As she collapsed in her room she realized she would have to get a better place to stay soon. It's not like she didn't have a bunch of money saved up from commissions. Oh right. Commissions. 'Well,' she thought, 'Better get to work on those.' It was going to be a long night.

So this is probably my last update until i go MIA :( Well anyways, what did you think of the almost kiss? *wiggles eyebrows* I feel like i need more drama so if any of you have ideas or predictions or anything... help me out please? oh my kwami the space at the bottom of the chapter is annoying the heck out of me. Bye!