Chapter 9

Damian was surprised that she actually agreed. And by the look on her face, Marinette was too. She moved forward, and they both left the shop. Marinette opened her mouth to ask,

"Where are we going?"

Damian thought for a while before deciding.

"I was thinking of a place I quite like, but it's a little ways away from here. Are you okay with walking that far?"

"Oh for sure!" Marinette replied with a smile, "My lunch break is pretty long and I'd love to see the place you would like Mr. Frowny."

Her teasing made his light scowl deepen. Marinette giggled, her laugh sounding like bells, beautiful and clear. At this sound his glare all but dissipated. The pair walked for a while, Damian describing some of the monuments they passed while Mari listened intently. It was disconcerting to have someone's attention so focused on him, but Damian couldn't say he minded.

Eventually the two made their way into a cozy little street hidden from most of Gotham. Damian waited to see her reaction.

"Oh Mon Dieu, this is so beautiful!"

Damian let out the breath he didn't know he was holding. After Marinette almost ran into a few people he grabbed her arm to steer her away from obstacles. Marinette didn't even notice the contact, she was so enraptured by the surroundings. Damian was patient, something he didn't know he could be, while he waited for the petite girl to slow down her rambling.

Marinette realized she had been monopolizing the conversation, and quickly apologized to Damian. It was only then she saw his arm holding hers and Mari's cheeks tinted red, although she did not remove it. Marinette looked up to find his jade-green eyes focused on her. There was a silence before Damian restarted their discussion.

"I really like the clothes you are wearing, where did you get them?"

"Oh, I made them myself." Marinette answered shyly, trying not to seem like she was bragging. Luckily, Damian didn't seem to think she was.

"I didn't notice, they're so well made," he complimented, "But I think the lady wearing them is more lovely."

Marinette was red-faced, and wondered how a person could blush so much. Unwilling to let him flatter her more, she replied matter-of-factly,

"I'm nothing compared to you Mr. Tall Dark and Handsome."

With her words, Marinette had the pleasure of seeing his cheeks tint the slightest pink. 'Yesssssss, payback!' she thought.

"Uh, well, we're here." Damian stuttered as he held open the door.

The atmosphere inside was homey, and soft music played in the background. As they sat down at a table a man with a white streak in his hair slid into the booth, sitting beside Damian. Damian glared at the man and gritted out a question,

"What are you doing here Todd?"

The tall man who was apparently named Todd just grinned and replied,

"Oh, I was just wondering where you kept disappearing to, Demon Spawn. But now I can see you've been with this lovely lady."

Marinette didn't know what Damian's relationship with Todd was but she didn't like name calling.

"He's not Demonspawn!" She cut in, "Damian has actually been really nice to me!"

"Hmmmmm~" Todd replied, wiggling his eyebrows, "He is capable of being nice, I had no idea. You must be someone special sweetheart."

"Her name is Marinette, Todd." Damian said curtly, "Not sweetheart."

"Defensive, are we? Oh, but where are my manners?"

"You never had any to begin with." Damian muttered.

"My name is Jason, I'm Demon Spawn's brother." Jason told Marinette while ignoring his brother's mutterings.

"Oh." she replied, "But then why does Damian call you Todd?"

"That's my last name, Pixie Pop."

"So Damian's last name is Todd?"

"Well, no. I'm actually his adopted sibling. Damian's last name is-"

Jason was cut off by an extra hard glower, courtesy of Damian. They shared a look that Marinette failed to decipher. Obviously coming to an understanding Jason continued on talking. The conversation lasted until the three had ordered, received, and eaten the food. Marinette took note of the fact Damian had ordered a vegetarian item.

Damian still looked angry at Jason and muttered something in Arabic. Marinette was fluent in Arabic; it was a language she had learned for fun.

"Damian! Don't say rude things like that about your brother!"

Damian looked like he had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Jason laughed and before he left you could hear Damian say, with Mari prompting him,

"Sorry."

Jason looked back and grinned widely, and it was obvious to Damian he would hold this over him.

"You're welcome Demon Spawn! Bye Pixie Pop!"

Damian glanced over to Marinette to ask if she had to go too.

"Yeah," Mari replied apologetically, "My lunch break is over."

"Well, I could walk you back if you'd like?"

"Sure, that would be great!"

Damian took her arm and led her out, asking more about her designs. He hadn't paid particular attention to the subject previously, but Marinette made the topic sound interesting. Once they got on the busy street the volume increased. Marinette almost had to yell to get her point across.

It was easy conversation for the walk back, which Damian actually enjoyed. He took in her features, her bright blue eyes excitedly shining, her long dark blue hair,

"So Damian, what do you do for fun?"

"I paint."

"Well, obviously. Why else would you show up at the store so often? I meant other than that!"

"I train."

"Really? That's so cool! My Maman taught me martial arts but I'm still not very good." Marinette went on for a while until they reached her work.

"Okay, bye Dami!" Marinette quickly kissed his cheek and went inside.

Damian was left standing outside, blushing, while Marinette was internally freaking out.

'Oh Mon Dieu, why did I do that!'

'He'll probably never want to see me again!'

'Arghhhhhhh I should just bury myself in the ground and never show my face again!'

Sorry I feel like this chapter was so cringy. JSYK I have never done anything slightly romantic or even just randomly ate somewhere with a friend so yeah. Anyways thanks for 60 follower and 2k reads and over 100 votes!