Chapter 4

Ladybug raced across the rooftops as a feeling of exhilaration washed over her. The sky was dark, the almost-black grayish colour you get when there's cloud cover. Really the only light was from the dim streetlamps barely illuminating the sidewalks. The heroine blended in with the darkness as she swung around the city of Gotham.

It didn't take long for her to come across one of the bat-boys. This one was Nightwing. He approached Marinette cautiously.

"Who are you?" the question wasn't asked in a rude way although the girl still flinched slightly.

"My name is Ladybug, one of Paris's superheroes."

Nightwing looked like he was listening to his comm. Then he said, a little skeptically,

"We were not aware of any heroes or villains in Paris. Do you mind telling us why and how you are here?"

"Well," Ladybug began, "It all started when..."

She went on to explain Hawkmoth, akumas, and most things relating to the situation. Ladybug couldn't explain in great detail; she was running out of time. The heroine asked the bats to not go rushing into Paris, because if any of them got akumatized, the akuma would be 10x as hard to beat.

Ladybug was feeling hopeful, although they had not explicitly told her they would help, the vigilantes did however agree to meet at the same place the next day. That was enough for now. As Nightwing was about to leave Ladybugs left yoyo beeped to signify a call coming in. Chloe was on the other end and simply said, "Akuma!"

Ladybug quickly merged with Kaalki and hopped into a portal, leaving Nightwing behind, very confused and impressed. Tonight was going to be one hell of a debriefing.

Quite a while later, Marinette collapsed on the floor of her room because she didn't want a repeat of the choking on dust incident. Tikki munched on a cookie happily.

"Tikki, I'm so glad Batman has almost decided to help us with Hawkmoth!"

"He hasn't yet, but I am glad he will likely help too."

It was nearly 3 in the morning, and Mari was tired. She knew that sleeping would only make her grumpier in the morning. Marinette decided it was time for what she called a "Past Midnight Cleaning Spree". She washed the bathroom, dusted everywhere and just tidied up in general.

Sadly, her spree only lasted 45 minutes. Left with nothing to do, Marinette decided to just take a walk. After all, what could go wrong? Well, a lot of things, but the girl really did not care.

Locking her door securely Marinette started walking. A feminine scream filtered through the early morning air. Mari quickly and quietly rushed to the sound. When she got there she was disgusted at the sight. Three men-- at least 6'2 -- were surrounding an old, frail woman. One of them was covering her mouth, the second was rifling through her purse and the last dude was watching for anyone.

Marinette wasted no time, already certain of what she was about to do. With a quick swish of her clothes the watcher was unconscious and slumped on the ground silently. Mari snuck behind the man covering the lady's mouth and with a sharp, well-placed punch he too was on the concrete. The third guy obviously noticed something was up, so he looked to see the small woman, filled with righteous anger, hurdle towards him. He threw a few punches, but they are clumsy and he was quickly constrained. The old woman told Marinette gratefully,

"Oh, thank you so much dearie! I know someone as old as me shouldn't be walking around this late-- or early -- but I just can't seem to help myself."

"You are welcome."

Marinette turned to walk away, and that turned out to be her fatal mistake. The old lady moved with speed and agility to inject her with a fluid. A man grinned maliciously from around the corner and Mari was finally the one to slump to the ground.

The girl awoke to find herself engulfed in darkness. As Marinette's eyes adjusted she could make out the faint outline of a figure in the far right corner of the room. Mari was gagged and tied securely to a chair. She did, however, feel Tikki pat her chest, so apparently whoever captured her hadn't found out about her secret.

"Hello Princess. Aren't you glad Chat Noir came to save you from this hell-hole? "

Marinette stayed silent.

"How nice of you to be here." He said mockingly.

Marinette was frantically thinking of escape routes, but didn't see any at the moment. Adrien went on a monologue that she zoned out. The beginnings of a panic attack were welling up but Mari shoved it down. Now was not the time.

Adrien took a step forward and undid the gag. He smiled. Marinette flinched. He leaned forward and she leaned back. Adrian pressed his lips to hers and she felt disgusted. And furious.

Adrien took her anger as passion and kissed her harder. Finally Marinette was his. Until she knocked her head against him and he stumbled back.

During his long talk Tikki had been untying her bonds. Marinette ripped her hands out and ran. She didn't look back;she heard him behind her.

There was a door and she rattled the door frantically but it stayed locked. Eyes wide and fearful Marinette ran out of his way.

Adrien cornered her and Mari knew she would be hurt by the end if this. Although Adrien didn't have the ring he was still athletic. Marinette took a deep breath.

And attacked.

The man was caught off-balance. A quick punch to the throat made him choke. Adrien gave his princess a kick to the hip as she dodged it. He was furious. Couldn't Mari just see they were meant to be together? All he had to do is find Ladybug so he could give the earrings to Marinette who deserves them.

His toxic green eyes glinted dangerously as he grinned.

On Archive of Our Own someone was confused so yes, they're still in Gotham.