Keep Running

"HYDRA doesn't like leaks." Sitwell said.

I was sandwiched in the backseat between Sitwell and Natasha. To say I was uncomfortable was an understatement. I suggested we stash Sitwell in the truck, but that would look "suspicious".

Sam was driving the car, while Steve sat in the passenger seat. How I wish I could have sat anywhere else. The trunk would have been a better option than this. On any other day, I would have been overjoyed to sit next to Natasha, but Sitwell was making me feel murderous. There was nothing I wanted more than to smash my fist into his face over and over again.

"Then why don't you try sticking a cork in it?" Sam shot back.

"Insight's launching in 16 hours. We're cutting it a little close here." Natasha jumped in.

"I know. We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the hellicarriers directly." Steve explained.

"What? Are you crazy?" Sitwell exclaimed, moving forward in his seat and ending up yelling in my ear. I glared at the bald man and shoved his body back into his seat causing him to give me a bewildered look.

"That is a terrible idea, terrible idea." He said after a moment of collecting himself.

Right as he finished his statement, the glass window next to him shattered and pieces of it went flying all over the place. I moved my arm to block the glass, but I still felt some pieces scratch the side of my face.

Sitwell started screaming as something grabbed him and yanked him through the window. I didn't have time to process what happened before he was thrown into opposite traffic and was hit by a semi-truck.

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped, however I didn't have much time to comment before a gun came into my view and thuds sounded on top of the car. I grabbed Natasha by the arm and threw her into the front seat with Steve, while I threw myself into Sam.

Gunshots were being fired through the ceiling and we just barely managed not to get hit. I didn't feel like getting shot again. We all ducked our heads before Steve moved around my body to grab the joystick and stop the car, which sent the mystery shooter flying through the air into the road in front of us.

Sadly, the shooter didn't stay down for long and ended up rolling onto their back and flipping so they were facing towards us and grabbed at the cement ground with their metal arm to stop them from going too far. Slowly, they stood up and lifted their masked face to stare at us.

It was him.

The Winter Soldier.

"Oh shit." I whispered.

Natasha pulled out her gun, but before she could shoot, the car lurched forward as another car rammed into the back of ours. My head jerked forward causing a whiplash effect.

I flew back in between the seats and Natasha grabbed my arm to steady me. Sam moved the wheel to turn out of the direction of the assassin, but with the large jeep behind us pushing the car forward, we were unable to.

We hit the assassin straight on and he rolled over the hood of the car and into the back window, which shattered under his weight. Sam tried stepping on the brakes to get the car to stop, but we kept getting pushed forward. Natasha reached down to grab the gun right before a metal arm broke through the windshield and yanked the steering wheel out of the car.

"Shit!" Sam yelled as Natasha started shooting bullets through the top of the car. I heard a thud as the assassin jumped onto the jeep behind us.

The jeep backed off before it picked up speed and slammed into the back again. Our car spun and smashed into the concrete divider.

"Hang on!" was yelled, but I couldn't tell from who as our car flipped over in the air, before I was falling out with the others. We landed on Steve's shield and went sliding before not all of us stayed on. Sam and I rolled a good distance across the road, while Natasha and Steve were still on top of his shield.

I grunted, getting up and ran to hide behind one of the cars where Natasha was hiding. Guns were shooting at us and I had to duck to avoid being hit. I heard a loud explosion and briefly saw Steve get sent over the bridge.

She pulled out her gun and started shooting at them and I grabbed mine and did the same. The Winter Soldier held up what looked like a grenade launcher and I grabbed Natasha's shoulder and threw her over the divider into opposite traffic with me.

We narrowly missed a car and rolled over another one before we started running. We were passing a Pontiac when the soldier shot the grenade launcher at us, which caused the car to explode, making us have to jump over the edge to avoid being crushed. Natasha took out a grappling hook and aimed it at the bridge and grabbed me by the waist.

We reached the ground safely before running again. In front of us were pedestrians and an overturned bus, but at the edge of the bridge's shadow was the soldier's shadow as well.

"Natasha!" I said, not loud enough to alert the assassin above us. I gestured to the ground and she nodded.

The soldier aimed to shoot at the bus, but Natasha quickly used her gun which caused the soldier to retreat out of sight. She grabbed my arm and pulled me behind a truck and stood at the corner waiting for him to return, which didn't take long.

He immediately shot at the spot we were just at, which gave Natasha the opportunity to get a headstart at him. Her bullets didn't seem to reach him as he moved his target to us and aimed. I ran with Natasha on my heels as his bullets got closer to us.

"He's coming!" I yelled to her. Natasha found a radio and began speaking into it.

"Taking fire above and below expressway. Civilians threatened. Repeat, civilians threatened." She said. "I make an LZ, 2300 block of Virginia Avenue. Rendezvous, two minutes"

By this time, we snuck up behind the soldier as he aimed his gun at a car after he rolled a grenade, thinking we were there. Once the grenade exploded, Natasha jumped off the car we were behind and used her famous Black Widow moves on him, trying to take him down.

It wasn't long before he threw Natasha off of him and aimed to kill her, when she threw something, causing his metal arm to become limp. I don't know what it was, but I needed it. Running past him, I pulled Natasha off the ground and we made a run for it again.

"Get out of the way!" She yelled to the civilians, while I yelled at them to stay out of the way.

I looked over to where we left the soldier and saw him aiming the gun at Natasha. I heard the shot go off, but I had already sped up and pushed her out of the way. Pain spread throughout my shoulder and I grunted, falling to the ground.

Natasha dropped behind the car with me and quickly placed her hands on my shoulder to apply pressure.

"You idiot! Why would you do that?" She whisper yelled at me.

"I told you before that I'd take a bullet for you." I grunted out.

"I don't see him." She whispered, looking around.

It was silent for a few seconds before there was a thud from a car behind us. We looked up to see the soldier aiming at us again, but was distracted when Steve ran up to him and they started fighting.

"He dropped the launcher." I pointed out to Natasha, who stealthily grabbed it without bringing attention to herself.

I stood up next to her as she aimed the launcher at the soldier who was just kicked by Sam. Once she got a clear shot, she shot at him right as he was about to shoot Steve. Smoke filled the area and the soldier was gone.

"Paybacks a bitch." I said.

Our victory was short lived as police sirens were heard and numerous cars approached us. Members of STRIKE, including Rumlow, exited the cars and approached us with guns. They were quick to detain Sam and Steve. Two guys came over to me and roughly pulled my hands behind my back.

"Ow!" I hissed in pain, when they moved my arm too quickly.

"Watch it." Natasha ordered the men that were cuffing me as she was also being cuffed.

They led us towards the back of one of their cars and shoved us in together. Sam and Steve were also led into the back and I knew we were in deep trouble.