Kiss It Better

"Ow" I mumbled, sitting up and brushing my hair out of my face. What just happened?

I groaned as I stood up and closed my eyes, trying to fight the feeling of the room spinning.

Steam was filling the room and I looked around to see the damage. Steve and Stark walked out of the lab from what I could see from the corner of my eye. Bruce and Natasha were nowhere to be found.

Director Fury was sitting up and I hurried over to him, awaiting his orders.
"Hill!" I could barely make out any words Agent Hill was saying over the earpiece, as I wasn't given one. The buzzing in my ears was making it difficult for me to make out the words spoken anyway.

"Stark, do you copy?" Fury asked, as I helped him stand up. "Coulson, initiate defensive lockdown in the detention section, then get to the armory." He commanded.

He glanced at me, "Follow me for now, Desantos."

"Romanoff?" he said, walking with me behind him. The assassin must have briefed him on her situation because he was silent for a few moments.

"Miss Desantos, I want you to examine the damage. I fear that we are going to run into a far bigger issue." He demanded, handing me an earpiece to keep in contact. Finally.

"On it, sir." I said, walking away towards the direction where I assumed the engine was taken out. I was halfway there when I heard a loud roar that shook the whole Helicarrier. Chills ran down my spine as the deep roar echoed through my ears.

The Hulk was released.

I stepped up my pace, not wanting to have an interaction with the green beast.

I was close to a corner when footsteps started coming from in front of me. On instinct, I whipped out my pythons and hid against the wall, concealing myself from obvious view. Three people decked in black gear carrying guns walked right by me without witnessing.

I raised my pythons and quickly shot two of them, the third turning around and shooting the wall beside my head, before he too, was shot down. These must be soldiers under Loki's command.

Okay, I'm going to go back to the Bridge. I started to make my way back, before feeling my body start to tilt sideways. Oh NO! This is just like the movies! Is this thing going to fall?

My eyes widened and I reached out to the wall, trying to continue on. Oh my gosh, I'm going to die. I am actually going to die! I think my fear is coming true.

If I somehow live through this, I never want to get on one of these things again. Panic was pulsing through me and I was hoping with my whole being that this was going to be fixed.

"We are in an uncontrollable descent." Someone said over the earpiece.

"Sir, we've lost all power in engine one." Someone else said.

"It's Barton. He took out our systems. He's headed for the detention level. Does anybody copy?" Fury asked.

"This is Phantom. I'm on my way." I said into the earpiece and started running, carefully. I was trying not to slip and fall, but the tilt of the Helicarrier was making it extremely difficult not to.

I was panting by time I made it close to the detention level. It wasn't the fact that I was tired or out of breath. It was more of the fact that my panic was weighing me down. The only thing keeping me going was the adrenaline coursing through my veins.

Finally making it to the detention level, I stopped and listened. Focusing on the noises around me with my enhanced hearing, I heard the whirling of machinery and yelling. Faintly, I was able to make out footsteps around the corner to my left.