Que Sera Sera

"Well, look who's finally up. Rise and shine, Sleeping Beauty." I heard as I fluttered my eyes open. My eyes stung from the blinding lights of the room. I had to quickly shut my eyes before opening them slowly.

A white wall. White ceiling. White everything. I was in a hospital.

I looked to the right of me and saw a head of bright red hair, which contrasted with the rest of the room. Natasha.

She sat in a chair next to the hospital bed I was rested on with a small smirk, her hair still straight, and her eyes filled with relief yet a touch of fear. She looked more refreshed and less tense than she had been the past few days. She wore a black baseball cap and a black hoodie, which was tucked around her neck if she needed to quickly pull it up.

"Nice to see you're still alive." She commented, uncrossing her arms and leaning forward and placing her elbows on her knees.

"How long have I been out?" I questioned.

"Not long. About a day or so." She responded.

"And Steve?"

"Still out, but it shouldn't be too much longer."

"He took a beating trying to get his friend to recognize him." I commented.

"Did it work?"

"Sorta. I mean, Steve isn't dead so I assume he did something. What's my diagnosis?"

"Gunshot wound right below your stomach, few cuts and bruises, nothing life threatening. I'm sure the doctor will explain more when they get in."

"Why do you look like you're still on the run?"

She paused, sucking in a deep breath and leaned back against the chair she was sitting on. In that moment, she looked defeated and exhausted. "I had to do something big to take down HYDRA. I released every record, every secret both HYDRA and S.H.I.E.L.D. tried to hide onto the internet. Now everyone knows."

"Your file?"

"Exposed. Including yours." She sighed.

I looked down, a small wave of fear rippled through my body. That means I would have to stay out of the public eye and be on the run again. I'd have to go back into hiding. I knew once my record was out there, there would be heavy consequences which was why it was under lock and key in the first place.

"I'll have to go into hiding." I mumbled.

"Not going to happen. Now that everything is out, the government is keeping a close watch on us to make sure we aren't going to become a hazard to anyone." She responded.

"So, we're sitting ducks? We'll have to play by their rules?" I asked, looking back at her.

"Seems like it, but I can't say for certain. I have a meeting with the Department of Defense to discuss what happened with Insight. We'll have to go from there."

"A meeting with the Senate? What are they going to do? Stick us in a fortified prison?"

"Depends on what they decide. The meeting is in a few days. Would you go with me?"

"Tash, I really don't want to. It won't be a great idea for me to go. If my record is out there then it's going to give them another reason to make a harsh decision if I show up."

"Or, it could help convince them that you are on their side and not HYDRA's."

I stayed silent, mulling over my options. Neither option was very appealing to me. I wasn't afraid to admit I was fearful of the outcome, because truthfully, I was. No matter how much my file made me out as a monster, I was human, slightly altered, but human no less.