Too Much Tension

"What is "Phase 2"? Tony asked, right when Steve and I walked into the lab with the exact information he was looking for. Once again, we seemed to have impeccable timing.

Steve dropped the gun on one of the many tables before he explained, "Phase 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D uses the Cube to make weapons. Sorry, computer was moving a little slow for me."

Oh, is it morning already?

"Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're making... " Fury tried to explain, but was cut off by Tony.

"I'm sorry, Nick. What were you lying?" He asked, moving a computer screen around to show us what he found in S.H.I.E.L.D's files.

"I was wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit." Steve said. I puffed out my cheeks and let the air out as I felt the tension building up. Thor and Natasha walked into the lab at that moment.

"Did you know about this?" Bruce asked the redheaded beauty.

"You want to think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?" She asked, ignoring his question. Now I'm curious. Did she?

"I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed." He retorted.

"Loki is manipulating you." She said.

"And you've been doing what, exactly?" He questioned.

What do I do in this situation? She was most definitely manipulating him at this moment. Do I stay off to the side and let them fight their own battle or get involved? Uhh... I'm gonna stay over here.

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

"Because of him." Fury said, pointing at the blond god.

"Me?" Thor asked.

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned." Fury explained.

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet" The Asgardian reasoned.

"But you're not the only people out there, are you?" Fury countered. "And you're not the only threat." He added, taking a glance at me.

I rolled my eyes at the gesture. I was harmless unless provoked.

"The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, that can't be controlled." He added.

"Like you controlled the Cube?" Steve asked.

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war." Thor said.

"A higher form?" Steve interrupted.

"You forced our hand. We had to come up with something." Fury tried to explain.

"A nuclear deterrent. Because that always calms everything right down." Came the sarcastic remark of Tony Stark.

"Remind me again how you made your fortune, Stark." Fury jabbed.

"I'm sure if he still made weapons, Stark would be neck-deep..." Steve chimed in.

This was getting out of line and the tension was becoming suffocating. I felt extremely awkward and uncomfortable being in this room right now and I chose not to engage in the petty fight.