I Love Kicking People Off Roofs

Knocking on Sam Wilson's door right after avoiding death was not how I pictured our next move. I figured we'd lay low in an abandoned building or a hotel, but not this. Steve said it would be a good idea to hide in plain sight and that Sam was the only other person he knew who could be trusted. How he came to that conclusion was beyond me, but then again, I only met the man once.

By the time we made it back to DC, Natasha had, thankfully, woken up and came back to her senses. All three of us looked like we just went to hell and back. We were covered in ash and dirt from the building.

The door opened and there stood the man we were looking for - Sam Wilson looking confused as to why there were three badasses at his front door.

"Hey, man." He greeted, confused.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." Steve explained.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Natasha added.

Sam stared at the three of us for a few seconds before he gestured for us to come in. "Not everyone."

Natasha walked in first, followed by Steve, and then myself. Sam shut the door after I passed him, after checking to make sure no one was trailing us.

"There's a room back there that you can use to freshen yourselves up. Shower and everything. You guys look like shit." Sam said.

"Thanks." Steve smiled.

I walked into the bedroom and into the attached bathroom, pulling some towels and washcloths out. I passed them out to the others and soaked mine with water as I started to scrub away the dirt. I left the bathroom to let Steve in and took a seat on the bed. Natasha came over and sat next to me, scrubbing the dirt from her face.

"Thank you." She said, turning to me.

"For what?"

"Saving me back there."

"I wasn't going to leave you and neither was Steve. So there's no need to thank me." I said.

"Just accept my gratitude, Margot." She rolled her eyes.

"I don't need to. There's nothing to thank me for."

She shook her head, but didn't respond. I guess she figured she wasn't going to win that debate anytime soon.

"You look like you have something on your mind. Want to talk about it?" I asked.

She opened her mouth to respond, however Steve walked out of the bathroom.

"You two okay?" Steve asked.

"Yeah." Natasha answered for us.

"What's going on?" He asked, seeing the same look on her face that I was.

"When I first joined S.H.I.E.L.D. I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KGB for HYDRA. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but I guess I can't tell the difference anymore." She said.

"There's a chance you might be in the wrong business." Steve responded, bringing back the same thing Natasha said to him before.

"I owe you." She informed Steve.

"It's okay." Steve shook his head.

"If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, now you be honest with me, would you trust me to do it?" She asked him.

"I would now." He replied. "And I'm always honest."

"Well, you seem pretty chipper for someone who just found out they died for nothing." She joked.