Foxtrot Down

"Come on, Natasha. Just answer me." I muttered.

After Natasha sent that text to me, I haven't heard from her since despite my many messages and phone calls. I was confused. Does that mean she likes me back? Did she admit she felt something towards me? What about all those things she said back in Italy? Was it a lie?

My head was spinning and I was becoming restless. What did this mean? I wished so deeply that she would give me a response. Anything to put my mind to rest.

Heavy footsteps and a woman talking near my door caught my attention. Was that Steve and his neighbor? I got off the couch and opened the door to the hallway and looked out.

Steve's lady neighbor was walking down the stairs with a basket in her arms when I closed my door shut behind me. I turned to Steve, who was staring at his door, confused.

"Everything alright there?" I asked.

"Were you in my apartment today?" He asked, turning to me.

"No. Why?"

"The stereo is on." He trailed off.

"Did you leave it on?"

"No."

I walked up to his door and slowly grabbed my gun from the waistline of my jeans. Now that he said something, I could hear 40s music playing behind the door. After staring at the door for a few more seconds, he turned to me.

"Fire escape?" He asked.

"Fire escape." I nodded.

We both made our way out of the building and over to the fire escape that connected to his apartment. Steve went first and I went up after him, my gun in hand still. Once we reached his window, Steve quietly opened the window and snuck in, with me following.

The music stopped as we walked further into the apartment, but turned back on, playing the same song that was just playing. We made our way to the living room and we paused behind the wall. I raised my gun, while Steve looked around the corner.

"I don't remember giving you a key." He said, relaxing against the wall.

I walked around him and looked to the corner of the room where a figure was sitting in the chair. It was Fury. I tucked the gun back into the waistline of my pants, deeming there was no threat.

Fury grunted as he sat up.

"You really think I'd need one?" Fury asked. "My wife kicked me out."

I narrowed my eyes. Fury had a wife? I glanced at Steve confused.

"I didn't know you were married." He said.

"A lot of things you don't know about me." Apparently.

"I know, Nick. That's the problem." Steve retorted, walking over to the light switch and turning the light on. Steve went to say something, but Fury motioned for him to stay silent and turned the light back off.

What was going on?

Fury began typing on his phone before holding it out to us.

EARS EVERYWHERE

"I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place else to crash." He said as he started typing more.

SHIELD COMPROMISED

"Who else knows about your wife?" I asked.

YOU TWO AND ME

"Just... my friends." Fury disguised.