15. Interhigh - Quarterfinals

Shit
May 19 was supposed to be a good day, it was your birthday, your family came to watch your games. You had even gotten to switch your flip phone for a touch screen one, the newest version too.

You were going to win your quarter and semi finals today then advance to finals for next week.

First game wasn't very bad, though your serves could've been better.

Second game wasn't bad either, the team brought up more of a fight than the weeks before. That was to be expected since you did go against Dateko, or Date Tech high. Both their boys and girls teams have pretty solid blockers, though this year they got some extremely promising rookies.

They weren't synching up as great as expected, that's a given since their team did form a couple weeks before. Luckily, your team was a bit more synched up than theirs, if not you would've been stopped by their wall more times than you'd be able to count.

You ended up winning in straight sets, though the second one ended in a deuce. 29-27.
You advanced to quarter finals, playing against Johzenji High.

You had played against them before during the practice match and you remembered some of their attacks and techniques.

You had prepared yourself for them but you weren't expecting them to have prepared themselves against some of your own attacks.

Here you were, half way into the first set, landing from the cross shot you had just hit which their libero had managed to pick up.

How many times has it been now?

You glared at the libero before bringing your eyes back to check out who the setter would toss too.

Their blockers have been jumping up to block my straights, forcing me to hit a cross.

Mori Yoshiko, second year middle blocker, placed a hand on your shoulder moving you to the right.

"Jump straight"
Johzenji's setter passed the ball to the right.
"1"
"2"
"Jump"

You jumped up straight just as Mori had told you too, making sure to not leave an opening between your arms.

Mori jumped up with you, blocking off the straight.

You saw as Johzenji's spiker tilted her hand to hit a cross just before she spiked the ball.

Aren't we jumping the same way Johzenji's blockers jump for my spikes?

In a split second Mori moved her arm, palm colliding with the ball they had just spiked.
You landed along with the ball on the other side of the court. Seeing as their libero and setter dove down to bump it up, barely missing.
The ref's whistle blew, indicating it was your point.

First set
Shiratorizawa - Johzenji
13-11

"WAHH?! Mori-san!! That was so cool!"
You beamed up at her, stars in your eyes.
She chuckled as she ruffled your hair before high fiving some of your teammates that had come up to her.

"Gotta return the favor, don't we Oikawa-chan?" she smiled as you shifted spots, moving to the server position.

"Yes!" you saluted at her before cracking a smile.

"Nice serve!"

Nakayama, your middle blocker captain yelled out to you as one of the ball boys passed the ball back to you.

You nodded as you stepped back from the end line.

You breathed in and lifted the ball in front of you, waiting for the ref's whistle.