66. Shoji Screens

Vulgar themes. (dick jokes (?))

__

You slumped onto the floor, breathing heavily as Kaneko looked at you with a small pout, Sasaki following as they both panted for air next to you.

"I should've... stayed in... Tokyo." You huffed, scooting back to rest your back on the wall.

Sure you were used to harsh conditioning, and you took pride in the fact that your conditioning was the highest in your team, but when Kojima made you all condition, lift weights, condition and end it with a run around the school... your lungs felt like they were about to burst, and you could only wonder what the other girls were feeling like.

Kojima walked back in, humming as he looked at all of you sprawled on the gym floors or panting for air as you leaned on your knees.

"Alright! Line up!" He called out, everyone moving to form lines as you groaned, both Sasaki and Kaneko helping you up.

He let you all sit down as he hummed, taking out a clipboard as he smiled down at all of you, Matsuno walking in with half of the jerseys in his arms while the first year manager followed, the other half in her arms.

Kojima cleared his throat, Aoki moving to stand next to Matsuno as she checked over the jersey numbers, starting with the first year carrying the bigger numbers.

He began naming the first years, each of them going up to get their jersey before moving back to sit down, soon moving on to the second years as you glanced back at them. All of the first years obviously bummed at the fact that none of them were starters, meaning that the starters would all be second and third years.

"Number nine, Kaneko... starting setter." Kojima hummed, smiling softly when Kaneko jumped up, stiffly walking to Matsuno and Aoki to get her jersey as they gave her quiet congratulations.

"Number eight, Sasaki."

Sasaki hummed, standing up as she accepted her fate, though not totally bummed as she was swamped with work after moving up a class.

"Number seven, Shimazaki."

Shimazaki stood up, her face blank of any emotion as you silently judged her. She was nice, but she was a nice you could tell was fake.

Not only that, but you still weren't over the fact that she made you eat vegetarian food that one time at nationals.

You grumbled under your breath, looking back up at Kojima when he cleared his throat.

"Number six, Oikawa."

You stood up, receiving your jersey as the others started murmuring, confused as to why you weren't announced as a starter when you were one the year before.

You shrugged it off, sitting back down as Kojima smiled at you.

"... starting outside hitter and ace."

You nodded, high-fiving Kaneko and Sasaki at your sides as Mori reached up to ruffle your hair, Okada punching your arm with a bright smile.

You were the last second year, so Kojima promptly moved onto the third years as they all went up one by one.

All of them being starters, which was weird to you, given that the year before not all the third years were chosen.

Though looking at the new first years, it made sense.

"Number five, starting outside hitter, Kikuchi."

Your spot as starter was practically promised, so Kojima and Aoki only had to decide on the other outside hitter, since Okada would be playing opposite.