55. Iwaki

"You know, I feel like time has been going by a bit too fast."

You sighed, stretching forward as Kaneko and Sasaki nodded in agreement.

"I think that's because we didn't play the first day and just spent it watching other teams." Sasaki said, both you and Kaneko nodding along.

"Yea, I think so too." Kaneko nodded, standing up as Sasaki and you followed.

"Do you think we'll get a rematch with Hisamitsu this time around?"

You looked at Kaneko, pressing your lips together as you shrugged.

"They're in our bracket but we'd be playing them at finals if we both reach that high." Sasaki said, dropping her phone back into her bag as you and Kaneko hummed, following your senpais as they started walking out to the halls.

"Well, it's whatever now." You shrugged, stretching your arms up as the cheering of the gymnasium started flooding your ears. "We have to focus on beating Iwaki first."

You walked into the gymnasium, the cheering ten times as potent as it was outside, the blaring lights making you squint as you adjusted to them.

Sasaki and Kaneko nodded, glancing up at the cheering section as they waved down at you all.

Normally, you'd have smiled up at them and waved back, but your head was elsewhere. Your eyes were focused on the libero from the opposing team. Ozawa Tomoko, your roommate from a few days ago.

It was nerve racking enough to see another All-Japan attendee in the opposing team, more so when they're a second year. The same second year who you had observed through a majority of the training camp and she to you; but not only was she alone scary, if not her whole team.

They were in the top four of Japan alongside Shiratorizawa's girls' team. Iwaki Girls' High, a constant powerhouse team who has not dropped from the top eight for the past eleven years. A feat much greater than Shiratorizawa's constant battle with Niiyama, an unpromised outcome every game.

Either way, this game alone will determine who gets to advance to the best eight, and who stays in the best sixteen.

"Oikawa!"

You flinched, looking up at Kojima wave his hand in front of your face, the rest of the team looking at you with concern etched in their features.

"You okay kid? Do you need to be subbed out for a bit?"

You shook your head, smiling coyly up at the coaches and your teammates.

"No no, I'm fine. Sorry, I guess I was just zoned out for a bit there." You reassured them, Kojima continuing to talk as Aoki came up next to you, touching your forehead and asking you small questions as she gave you water.

"Okay, just double checking, but are you sure you're okay Oikawa?" Kojima asked as Iwaki's warmup time was reaching its end. You nodded, Kojima humming as he looked at Aoki who nodded again before he sighed.

"Alright then, let's go warmup before setting up. We'll start like usual, I'd like Oikawa to serve first this time around too."

You all hummed, looking up at the buzzer when your time started counting down; running out onto court and starting your accustomed warmups.

"Number seven, bringing the soccer world's quick feet into the volleyball world since last year. The girl who's quick on her feet, Ozawa Tomoko. Second year libero, 166 cm."

You ignored the commentators chatter as you waited in line to spike Nakamoto's set, hoping she wouldn't make you hit something unexpected to 'scare the competition' like in the past. You jumped in your spot as you kept your body warm, letting yourself zone in the commentators chatter once more.