50. Shark(ie)

"Oikawa-chan!"

You nodded, jumping up seconds after Taira had set the ball to you. Taira Chikako, second year at Sentoku high school in Hiroshima, setter.

You puffed your cheeks, looking at Yonamine who had jumped up to block you along with a couple other girls you still didn't know the name of... more like their names wouldn't stick, even after introducing themselves three times.

You spiked through them, pouting as you saw Ozawa pick it up.

You stepped back, looking to the side to see Sakurai spiking it down straight at Taira. Sakurai Izumi, second year spiker at Geba high school in Hokkaido.

Taira's face remained blank as she bumped it up. "Oikawa!"

You hummed, inwardly whining you had to set again.

You glanced around, catching everyone's placements and settling on your safest bet.

"Minegishi!"

She ran up beside you, jumping up with her arm stretched out just as you set it up to her in a quick.

Despite it being the first quick you had set for her since the summer training camp, she hit it with ease, earning a point as you both grinned at her landing.

You turned to look at one another, hands up for a double high-five as you cheered. "Uueh!"

You snickered, walking over to Taira and high fiving her as well.

"Five minute break!" The head coach called out, everyone soon dispersing into their own little groups soon after. Horie Suzume, coach for the women's national team and head coach here at the All-Japan Youth training camp.

If anything, you'd say the camp had more of the try-out type of vibes.

They did give feedback every once in a while, but for the most part, they just stood at the sidelines, eyeing and giving each player a numerical value, deciding whether or not to invite them again next year.

You slumped down with Minegishi, taking a sip of your water before laying down completely.

You sighed, bringing a hand up to your face to swipe the falling sweat away as Minegishi snickered.

"Those second years are scary." She whispered, as you cracked an eye open, humming in agreement with her.

Both Sakurai and Taira are a year older than the both of you, both of them showing little to no change in expressions. More so Taira than Sakurai, at least Sakurai gave you a small smile when she thanked you or when she greeted you.

"Aren't the two v two games next?" You said, sitting up as you kept your voice low given how close Minegishi had gotten to whisper her last words.

She nodded, sitting back besides your legs. "Hopefully we can be together." She grinned, closing her eyes when you reached up to flick her forehead.

"Doubt it." You snickered, sighing as you crouched to get up. "They'll most likely try and pair us with girls we haven't played with before, to see how we play with new players or something." You shrugged, that's what Kojima had done at the beginning of the year too. Set up two player games with random girls to see how they adapted to one another.

Minegishi grumbled under her breath as she grabbed your hand before you pulled her up. Patting her back as she pouted.

Despite her domineering height and flippant attitude, she had quite the cute side to her.

You walked back towards the coaches, being split up into pairs as Minegishi and you inevitably parted ways, but not without Minegishi walking away dramatically with puppy dog eyes and a hand stretched out towards you as if she were being taken hostage. Her partner only lifted a brow at her confusing actions.