Chapter 24

A week and a half later, an exhausted Jack and Elsa arrived at the border of Northuldra.
The trip had thankfully been uneventful with not much talking.
Jack put their packs on the ground as Elsa pulled out the coordinates and surveyed the area.
"Still more due North."
Jack nodded,
"Before we continue do you want to stop by your camp? I'm sure they would be grateful to know you are back."
Elsa nodded absently at this while folding the paper away.
Yelena and the Northuldrans had long ago become used to Elsa coming and going without much warning.
However everyone knew that if an emergency were to arise, Elsa would drop everything and come back.
She was secretly happy at Jacks' thoughtfulness.
A few minutes later, they came upon the encampment.
Everything was as she had left it two and a half weeks before.
Children ran around playing, Yelena was arguing with Lieutenant and Honeymaren and Ryder were staring at each other.
Just then Elsa realized that no one knew who Jack was.
No one had seen her with a man before. Honeymaren would also know that this was the Jack she had asked questions about.
Regret hit her instantly as everyone in the courtyard stopped what they were doing and stared.
Yelena instantly put a hand on her dagger at her side while lieutenant frowned.
Honey was the only one who seemed at ease, in fact she smiled widely.
All the while, Jack inched closer to Elsa, unsure of his welcome.
Leaning down, he whispered into her ear.
"Uh, are they good? Should I be worried?"
Elsa waved at everyone and whispered back,
"Let me do the talking, they don't take kindly to strangers, especially ones with powers."
Jack nodded solemnly and put on a smile that matched Elsa's.
The villagers all approached warily save for Honey.
She ran up to Elsa and hugged her instantly.
"Where have you been? I thought you were just visiting the queen until a multi-day journey turned into two weeks. We were worried."
Elsa smiled apologetically,
"I'm sorry I didn't send word, their highnesses asked me and my friend Jack to accomplish something for them."
Honey nodded as Yelena stepped forward.
"Elsa, you know we don't like visitors."
She said as she eyed Jack up and down.
But before she could respond, Honeymaren cut in.
"But this isn't just any visitor, this is Jack Frost. A great friend of the King and Elsa, isn't that right?"
Elsa nodded slowly as Honey winked at her while Jack stared, confused.
Honeymaren rushed up to Jack as well and embraced him.
"It's so nice to finally meet the guy who Elsa was talking about."
Jack began to stutter while everyone started murmuring.
Elsa clapped her hands as her cheeks reddened.
"Well this has been lovely, Jack and I still haven't finished our mission. I'll just get a few things and we'll be on our way. I should be done in a few days."
Before anyone could ask any questions, Elsa grabbed Jacks' hand and pulled him towards her tent near the outskirts.
Shoving him inside, she followed into the small space and let out a big sigh.
Looking up, she was shocked to find Jack smiling.
"What?"
Still smiling he shrugged,
"Nothing at all, charming friends. Where do we move on from here?"
Elsa grabbed his arm to maneuver behind him in the tight space, brushing against him in the process.
Ignoring the sparks, she went to her bedside table and pulled out the drawer.
After finding her compass and a few other things, she slipped them into the pack he was carrying.
"Now we go find the last place the spear was. The coordinates had last said to head north near the border.
We are definitely North since that's where the camp is so let's see how far back we need to retrace."
Pulling out the paper, she motioned for him to follow her.
After looking around then making a beeline into the forest, away from any lingering Northuldrans, Jack chuckled again.
Elsa was once more shocked to find him laughing and teasing since throughout their journey he had been so serious.
"I bet it's nice for you to lead for once", Jack said behind her as they walked.
Elsa squinted at the paper in her hands while she responded.
"Yes, it is quite nice."
A second later she stopped abruptly, causing Jack to crash into her from behind.
He grabbed onto her to steady both of them and Elsa tried to focus while Jack cleared his throat.
"Why did you stop? We're still too close to the encampment, they might hear us talking."
But Elsa shook her head.
"This is what it says."
Jack stood for a moment.
"What are you talking about? What says what?"
"The coordinates, Jack. They say this is the spot."
Jack looked bewildered.
"How is that possible? We're basically in the kingdom of Northuldra. Your saying the spear was in the village the whole time?"
Elsa shook her head.
"The only thing I'm saying is that this is where the coordinates say the spear was buried hundreds of years ago. But if we are following my theory, yes I believe a Northuldran then could have picked it up somehow and found it."
Without another word, Jack turned and marched back toward the town.
"Jack?" Elsa called out and followed him.
Yelena was still standing with the lieutenant in the center as Jack marched up.
Staring down at the older woman he said,
"Are either of you in charge?"
But both shook their heads and looked over to Elsa who had just caught up.
In unison they said,
"She is."
Jack threw up is hands in defeat as Elsa moved forward,
"Yelena, we need your help."
The woman nodded but again looked warily at Jack.
"Has this to do with helping their highnesses?"
Elsa nodded.
"Then what may I do for you?"
"Do either of you know of an object, particularly a spear being found in this area many years ago?"
Yelena shook her head,
"A spear? No."
But as she said this, lieutenant Mathias leaned down and whispered into her ear.
She looked at him and both nodded.
Facing Elsa again she said,
"Perhaps it's the Skjebne you speak of?"
Elsa gasped as Jack looked between the group, confused.
"What is that?" He asked.
Elsa responded,
"Long ago my mothers' ancestors traveled to this area, coming from forests beyond the Black mountains. They travelled to escape persecution and prejudice among the Vikings and Newfoundlanders. All Northuldran children know the tale of how their great grandparents had come across this area. Weary, they had stumbled across the land, looking for a sign from the gods that said this land was their destiny and found it. A sword was found that had been pierced into the ground, but it was no ordinary sword, it had glowed when touched. They decided then that this would be their new home."
Yelena nodded as Elsa finished and Jack contemplated.
"But you say it was a sword? Not a spear?"
Elsa replied,
"Yes, but how can it not be a coincidence? We are taking the word of a Viking who was practically illiterate if you ask me. His journal was a jumbled mess, he could have easily mispronounced the weapon."
Jack straightened and turned toward Yelena.
"Where is this sword now?"
Without a word, Yelena moved to go into a tent nearby.
After rummaging for a few minutes, she returned with a long wrapped object.
She handed it to Jack without hesitation. Gingerly, he unwrapped it.
He was surprised at the detail of the sword he uncovered.
Beautiful carvings adorned the metal including the scabbard.
Depictions of dragons, armies and divine creatures littered the heavy sword.
Definitely not something solely man-made.
Pulling it partially out of its sheath, he examined it.
It was sharp and polished, obviously well taken care of.
It was also quite heavy, he had never seen the type of metal it was made out of before.
Then something spectacular happened.
It began to vibrate in his hands.
Surprised, Jack held it away from him as the ground began to rumble.
Elsa knew what was coming.
Quickly she covered it again and the ground slowly quieted once more.
Everyone stood shocked.
"It... it's only done that once... when it was found." Yelena stammered.
"Who originally found the sword and handled it as I had?" Jack asked.
"Why I think it was Elsa's great grandmother." Yelena replied.
Jack nodded grimly.
"This needs to be destroyed. That was the mission their highnesses set upon us. You've seen the destruction it can cause, it's too risky to keep."
But Yelena shook her head.
"It's sacred to my people, a gift from the heavens."
Elsa stepped forward.
"What would change if you did not have it? I've seen what this can do, we don't want any part if it. The king and queen have decreed it themselves and so have I."
At this, Yelena turned to converse with the lieutenant and after a few moments came back.
"Very well, do with it what you may."
Both Elsa and Jack nodded their heads in thanks.