Chapter 16

Elsa warily scanned the forest as she walked through.
She couldn't believe she was admitting this, but without Jack by her side, the forest was far larger.
Far darker.
Far... dangerous.
Already she had the eery feeling she was being watched, but by what she did not know.
Only 10 minutes had passed since she and Jack had parted ways and she was a basket case.
This is ridiculous she told herself.
She had climbed mountains, travelled to fabled islands and lived, all on her own, for years.
In fact only a few years ago, the only thing she wanted to be was alone.
She couldn't stand it now.
Just as she begun to turn back, to find Jack and tell him she'd do it his way, the snapping of a twig had her spinning around.
She came face to face with a towering man.
He wore all camouflage, the only real thing that stood out was his steel-blue eyes.
Not because they were bright or lively however, quite the opposite.
His eyes were empty and lifeless, almost as if she was looking at a corpse.
Swallowing, she stood her ground and raised an eyebrow at him.
"Are you lost?"
His voice was as cold as his gaze as he asked this and she shook her head.
"No I-"
But he interrupted her.
"Stupid then?"
She reared back her head at this and the venom dripping from his voice.
"Well, no, but-"
"Then why the hell do I find you here? Trespassing on my property?"
She was so tired of men who thought they owned the world.
Straightening to her full height which still came to below his chin she said,
"And just who does this land belong to? What is your name?"
But before the giant could reply, she heard rustling behind her.
To her horror, she turned to see at least a dozen other similarly-clad men surrounding her.
Without warning, one came directly up to her and grabbed her arm.
Jerking away from the man, Elsa angrily spoke.
"Don't you dare, I am princess Elsa of Arendelle-"
The giant hunter spoke over her.
"A princess you say? Surely that's worth something, Someone must be missing you fiercely no?"
At his inquisitive tone Elsa froze, unsure of how to respond.
She knew what it sounded like.
Like they could get ransom money from Ana and Kristoff who of course would not hesitate to pay any amount demanded.
Ugh.
These were no hardened murderers, just some greedy foragers.
Scowling at him once more, Elsa replied,
"It seems as though this is all a mistake. I have business near the coast and must pass through. I'll just be on my way."
But as Elsa made a move to break through the circle of men, the leader once more stepped up to her.
He gave a low chuckle,
"The only mistake made here is you thinking your leaving. I'm not nearly done with a pretty thing like you. If there is no money to be had, I can think of other uses you would do well in."
At this Elsa recoiled, fear hammering back into her.
She wished Jack was here.
Behind her, one of the men pulled a blade and began walking toward her.
She screamed.
The rest was a blur.