Chapter 8

"What are you doing here?
What just happened?
Who are you really?"
Her attraction put aside for the moment,
Elsa fired multiple questions at Jack without thinking, all she knew for sure was that something was wrong and he was somehow the cause of it.
With her heart beating wildly in her chest, which had to be only from leftover adrenaline of course, she stared into his guilty face awaiting answers.
As his gaze roamed their desolate surroundings (conveniently avoiding her eyes), he stammered,
"Look, it's a long story and it's not safe here."
But she held firm.
"I've got time, and since you seemed to have killed every living thing within a mile, I think we'll be fine."
He stiffened at her accusing tone but nodded curtly.
"That earth quake was in fact a cryroseism."
Elsa shook her head absently at this information.
"What is that?"
"Basically it's an ice quake caused by water freezing in the ground and creating fissures."
Elsa looked around, confused.
"But there's no ponds or lakes this far inland."
"Yea, but it rained a few nights ago before the cold front moved in. That created perfect conditions."
"Ok, but that happens at least a couple times a month and this has never happened before."
Jack looked at the ground once more as Elsa finally shifted out of his grasp and crossed her arms.
With his arms now free, he put his hands into his pockets and shrugged.
"I might have helped it along."
Elsa let out an exasperated breath.
"Helped it along? I won't ask again, who are you?"
This time Jack did meet her gaze, unwavering.
"I told you already. I'm Jackson Overland Frost, Jack Frost, or Jack. Lord of Winter is also ok."
He tried to hide a smirk as he said this but failed.
"Lord of Winter? I've heard legends of a boy who controls the Nordic poles, but everyone claims it to be a myth."
Jack gazed at her for a few moments after she finished, gauging her reaction.
"And I've heard of a little princess who can summon ice and snow. Guess we both grew up."
Elsa stared at him, at a loss for words.
This could not be happening, she just saved her freaking kingdom not too long ago and now someone else was once more messing with it.
If what had just occurred was any indication, Jacks' powers were no small thing and she needed to get to the bottom of why he was causing such havoc.
However deep down, in a nearly unreached part of her, she was thrilled in finding another like her.
Straightening her shoulders and clearing her mind from that train of thought, she focused once more on Jack.
"Fine, you brought on a cryo- whatever. Howcome?"
"Ever heard of the Kraftig spear?"
She shook her head and he continued.
"It was a spear buried long ago, deep underground, and lost by the Vikings.
Legend has it that the spear was made by Odin himself, it was so powerful that it often disrupted the magnetic pull of the earth which then wreaked chaos upon the seasons, especially winter. Therefore I need to find and destroy it, it's my duty to regulate all the incoming winters in the world. I know it sits to the East in an ancient forest that lies next to one named Northul..."
"And what does summoning earth quakes have to do with finding the spear?"
"By targeting certain areas, I have a better chance of destroying it than in searching by hand which could take years. You know how fragile the seasons are, one misstep like this spear could forever ruin my system in bringing winter on time. Yes all you can see is destruction right now, but with a few more tries I'm sure I'll find it."
However Elsa was already shaking her head.
"What if a child or a family had wandered in when you started it? Obviously you didn't even see me so whose to say your not endangering someone? It's too dangerous and risky, I won't let you do it."
Dismissing him, she began to walk away.
Men.
So stupid.
How would he even know when he destroyed it?
Finally she found someone she was genuinely interested in, who was also perfect for her and he turned out to be an idiot.
But she only got a couple feet away before she felt a hand grab her arm and swing her back. For a moment she felt off-balanced and stumbled against his chest.
How dare he.
"Look, I know it sounds crazy and you have no reason to trust me, but I'm not asking your permission. This is going to happen whether your for it or against it."
Jerking her arm from his tight grasp, she stepped back to gain some distance and frowned upward.
"You forget this land belongs to the realm of Northuldra and it's people. You'll need to get special permission from the head council, which is conveniently myself."
With this information, she smiled at Jack, enjoying the frown now marring his face.
Not that it didn't make him look any less cuter.
"And you forget that Northuldra now answers to the King and Queen of Arendelle, due to the last peace treaty signed. They oversee all final decisions regarding the land."
Elsa scoffed,
"So what? My sister would hardly agree to something so destructive, she would surely find a better way to fix this."
Jack shook his head,
"I've already brought a hypothetical situation up to Kristoff and he definitely seemed to favor my views. You know Ana will follow anything he says if it came down to it. Plus she's so occupied with baby things, I doubt she'll really look into it."
Elsa huffed,
"We shall see soon won't we?"
Once more she began to walk away, head held high, while stepping over various litter covering the ground.
Shaking his head, this time in amusement, Jack called out;
"Your welcome! Don't worry about it!"
Pausing after nearly stumbling when she heard his words, she didn't bother to look back as she replied,
"And what is it I'm supposed to be thanking you for?"
A faint yet even response was all the indication she needed to know that he was also walking away now.
"For saving your life. Again no big deal, see you at the palace in 3 days time."