Chapter 28

- 10 days later -
Elsa sat at the vanity getting ready.
Tonight would be her last night at the palace then she'd go back to splitting her time between Northuldra.
Elsa cringed as she put on some light makeup.
It was only her nieces' celebration party and yet rulers from all over were coming to celebrate the new heir.
Needless to say she wanted and even felt like dressing up a bit more than usual.
She hadn't put makeup on in ages but she figured she still had the hang of it.
She pulled her hair up into an intricate bun that rested against her neck and looked at the gown choices in the closet.
They were most likely Anas' overflow dresses that couldn't fit in her own closet.
That's when she saw it.
One of dark forest green.
She pulled it out and held it against herself while looking in the mirror.
One might say it was actually quite plain and they'd be right.
There was no lace, jewels or sparkles to be had, just miles of satin fabric.
However the top portion was fitted and would hug deliciously around her chest.
The skirt itself flowed out generously and twirled with every turn.
It was understated simplicity and elegance.
Yep, she would be wearing this.
Normally she let Ana stick to bright colors while she wore her staple blues, but tonight she wanted something different.
Wanted to feel different.
After putting it on, she realized it was even better than she imagined, the only issue being it was a bit form-fitting.
Elsa hated attention and didn't want to draw any toward herself.
She stood debating over the dress until a light knock on the door came.
Immediately Ana entered and gasped.
"Oh, I hoped you'd choose that one, it's like it was made for you!"
Elsa glanced again at the mirror.
"You think? It's not too tight?"
Ana shook her head,
"Tight in all the right places only. You'll steal the show."
Elsa laughed anxiously,
"But I don't want to, it's Arlens' night after all."
Ana waved her hand dismissively.
"Wear the dress Elsa, you only live once."
Elsa nodded and with that settled, Ana said she would see her downstairs.
With some light perfume, earrings and a shawl, Elsa followed her down to the ballroom.
Again, to say it was weird seeing people fill the hallways once more was an understatement.
Elsa was pleasantly surprised when her entrance garnered a few glances, but nothing noteworthy.
Immediately she headed straight for Kristoff and Arlen.
Taking the little girl into her arms, she rocked the baby and introduced her to friends along with Ana and Kristoff.
After a few rounds, she returned the baby back to her parents and went to get a drink.
All the while, she couldn't help but be reminded of a party nearly 9 months ago that day.
A party where she met someone who would go on to change her life.
After she resigned herself to the fact that she'd never hear from Jack again, she let her heart mourn then tried to move on.
So far it wasn't going too bad actually, only at certain times would random things remind her of him.
She only hoped he was suffering like her as well.
Just then captain Lucas appeared, handsome as ever.
"Your majesty, a fine evening is it not?"
He asked as he bowed.
Elsa accompanied his bow with a nod and replied,
"Captain Lucas, I thought we said you would address me as Elsa last time we met? But yes it is a very nice party."
Lucas grinned,
"You're right, how quickly I forget. My congratulations to you, Lady Elsa, on the birth of your niece, you must be very proud."
Elsa smiled,
"Yes, she is truly lovely."
He nodded,
"Well it's obvious she takes after you and your sister in both looks and mentality. It's a wonder she can be so calm with all this noise."
Elsa continued chatting with captain Lucas but soon grew tired and excused herself.
Just then, she felt an odd sensation cross over her spine, a chill entering the air.
Immediately her senses were up and she scanned the room.
Nothing seemed out of the ordinary but she knew that feeling.
It was one she got right before she met him... Jack.
However nothing more happened and Elsa realized she must be losing it.
Apparently she'd never be able to enjoy a party again without memories assaulting her.
She needed some fresh air and solitude so she walked outside into the gardens to clear her head.
She used to play hide and seek with Ana here, and started walking the familiar gravel path.