Chapter 30

Elsa kicked a pebble and came to a stop in front of the fountain at the center of the gardens.
Staring into the rippling water, she crossed her arms, wishing she had remembered to put her shawl back on.
Nevertheless, the moonlight bathed everything in a beautiful/gentle hue, that alone was worth the discomfort.
Vaguely she heard a branch crunch behind her and she wondered if others were out here as well.
Probably a young couple looking for privacy.
She was about to let out a sigh when all of a sudden a large arm wrapped around her waist from behind.
Immediately she tried to scream but a rough hand clapped over her mouth.
Oh my god, she thought.
What was all the self defense crap Kristoff had taught her?
Kick the shins?
Kick between the legs?
Bring an arm up?
She couldn't remember.
Panic had seized her and she felt frozen.
Yet no sooner than a second later, she felt her self being turned into someone's embrace.
Inhaling to attempt another scream, she caught a familiar scent.
Pine needles and soap.
Very pleasing, very masculine and very Jack.
Instantly, she brought her gaze up and looked right into Jacks' eyes as he leaned down to kiss her.
What the hell?
Desire and fury coursed through her as she fought not to give in.
Who treated someone like this?
There was no way she would soften to him she told herself.
But her body didn't seem to get the signal and slowly she wrapped her arms around Jack, melting into his embrace.
She felt like she had just come home.
As soon as she relaxed, Jack opened her mouth further, taking her to new heights.
A few minutes later though, Elsa regained her senses, wrenched away and stepped back.
"Why are you back here? You have no right to touch me like that, what if someone saw?"
As she said this, Elsa glanced around to make sure they were alone.
Jack frowned.
"Ok not the response I was hoping for but I definitely deserve it. Who cares if someone sees us? Captain Lucas?"
Elsa heard him chuckle under his breath as he said this and an evil idea flooded her mind.
Jack thought he could do whatever he wanted, whenever?
With no regards for the other person?
That stopped now.
Elsa shrugged and crossed her arms,
"Exactly".
Jack was still grinning when she responded, but afterwards not so much.
She watched the laughter die out of his eyes into... panic?
"Exactly what?"
Jack asked, his voice raspy.
"Exactly to the fact that I would be worried if Captain Lucas saw that. He's become a good friend of late."
The lie rolled off her tongue easily enough, but she had to fight the guilt rising.
She had to keep her excitement in seeing him at bay and stand her ground.
She didn't want him thinking he could walk all over her.
She noticed Jacks' jaw twitch as he replied,
"How good of friends? Actually no. I don't want to know. You have a right to do whatever you want and I'm sorry if I ever seemed overbearing."
He looked at the ground and shoved his hands in his suit pockets as he said this, ruining Elsa's reserve.
Also that suit? Yum.
After secretly giving him a once-over, Elsa fought to keep her focus on what he was saying.
In a smaller voice he continued.
"I just... I really messed things up and I'm sorry. I was worried that I'd become consumed by you, which I did. Still am. And if anything were to happen to you I know that things would not end well for me."
Finally, he brought his gaze back to hers and looked straight into her eyes.
"But that's what life is isn't it? Taking risks, finding that one person who completes you and doing your best."
By now Elsa had tears in her eyes and he slowly closed the gap between them once more.
Grabbing both of her hands, he brought them up to his chest.
"A few minutes ago, you had asked me what I was doing here... back here. You see it's quite simple, a few months ago I told someone very special that I'd always come back for her, and I'm here to keep that promise. Give me a second-"
But Elsa was already in his arms, hugging the daylights out of him.
"Yes, yes, yes."
Jack grinned and held her tight, this was just the beginning.