Chapter 20

After Jack left, Elsa found the nearest barstool and sat down.
Her feet were killing her, all this walking was starting to take its toll.
She ordered a drink but decided to wait for Jack before ordering food.
Just like at the harvest party, she felt eyes on her.
Surely tales of her past...deeds... hadent reached this far?
A noise to the left alerted her to someone's presence.
She turned in time to see a handsome man take the empty barstool next to her.
But it wasent his handsomeness that caught her attention, it was just him in general.
He grinned at her the same time she did.
She had not seen Finn since her childhood, when his father was still a guard at the castle.
Mother and father had been great friends with his father so they had spent many evenings dining and playing together.
Up until her teen years, he was probably her best (and only) friend in fact.
He spoke first,
"Fancy seeing you here, so far from home."
She raised an eyebrow but continued to smile.
"Funny, I could say the same for you."
For the next half hour, Elsa caught him up to speed on recent happenings, as well as finding out why he as well found himself so far from Arendelle.
"My wife and I moved here after our first born, very much for the same reason you are here now. Aksel. I needed information on a certain disease that was said to be incurable, but with his help, my little girl can walk now."
Elsa was initially stunned but happy to hear that he had a family of his own now.
Seemed like everyone did these days but her.
"So if anyone can help you find this spear, it's Aksel."
Elsa nodded her head in thanks and looked around wondering where Jack had gone off to. She heard the inn was just across the street. Worry piqued at her as thoughts of him ditching her finally whirled through her mind. Her thoughts were soon cut short however by Finn.
"So this Jack you told me about. Seems like he's always forefront with you, even now your looking for him."
Elsa nodded her head, no comment to be had. What he said was the truth.
"You say your afraid that your in love with him as well? It's only been a few months since you've even known him though right?"
Again Elsa nodded her head but chose to speak as well.
"You wouldn't understand... or maybe you do with Leah. The first time I saw him was unlike everyone else. I'm not saying it was love at first sight but as soon as my eyes found him they never left. You know where I stand now though, he doesn't want to pursue anything."
Finn rubbed at his chin in thought and stared absently over her shoulder at something.
"You think he doesent care enough for you?"
Elsa shrugged.
"Who can say? At this point He cringes every time I come near or touch him. He looks downright afraid of me. He probably got his fill and now he's done."
Still Finns' gaze stayed on something behind her, was she so uninteresting that she couldn't keep a mans' focus she wondered?
Just as she began to turn around to see what he was so fixated on, she heard him whisper softly.
"That doesn't look like fear or disgust, that looks like anger. Anger that I'm with you and he's not."
Looking up, she met the hard gaze of Jack from across the room.
He was standing in the entrance as if just arriving and looked mad enough to murder.

While it took longer than expected, Jack finally got their rooms booked.
He couldn't understand why it was so hard to do so, however, since the place was all but deserted.
Whatever, it was done now.
At this point Jack was starving and he rushed back across the street to the bar.
At this angle he could see Elsa clearly from the window she sat across from.
She was laughing at something someone was saying and it was completely breathtaking how joy lit up her face.
She had complained a few times how they had not had a real chance to clean up or wash clothes since they first set out a few days ago, but it did nothing to dim the effect she had on him.
Her long golden hair hung in thick waves and he treasured the image since she always had it braided and tucked away usually.
Her hair only highlighted her porcelain features, gorgeous eyes and if he was being honest, killer body.
He wished he could be the one.
The one who woke up to that everyday, but right now he didn't think he could find any room in his life for her.
And she deserved to be the center of some lucky idiots' world.
Just then she laughed again, but this time placed her hand on a shoulder.
Shaking his head, he stood frozen right before the entrance.
Squinting his eyes he looked closer.
The shoulder her hand rested upon was buff, muscular and very much male.
Jack frowned.
Lucky idiot was also laughing at something she said and looking at her like she hung the moon for him alone tonight.
By now Jack saw red.
Opening the door, he felt his stare burn into lucky idiots' head until the guy finally looked up.
He looked scared.
Good.
Maintaining eye contact, Jack only looked away to meet Elsa's eyes briefly.
They were confused and surprised, not a trace of guilt.
Then again why would she feel guilty?
He had no claim upon her and had voiced as much numerous times.
She owed him nothing.
And yet... this still wouldent do.
His hunger gone, Jack stalked up to the back of Elsa's chair and threw an arm around it. Message sent but was it received?
He saw new guy's gaze jump between both Elsa and Jack until finally meeting Jacks' again.
Signed, sealed and definitely delivered.
Still holding the other mans' gaze, Jack spoke tightly.
"Reservations for the inn have been made, we need to get going."
Elsa nodded and replied,
"That's good, allow me to introduce you to Finn, he is an old friend from back in the day."
Finn nodded stiffly once towards Jack and held out his hand.
Ignoring it, Jack spoke to Elsa once more.
"Like I said, we need to get going."
Elsa shook her head, confused.
"Aren't you hungry? Neither of us have eaten."
Jack shook his head as he grasped her hand and began to walk away.
"We can get something at the inn."
Elsa barely had a chance to wave to Finn as he pulled her out of the bar, once outside though, she skidded to a halt.
"What the hell? That was so rude! What's gotten into you?"
But before answering, Jack pulled her to the side of the building for more privacy.
"What's gotten into me? What about you? No wonder you insisted you stay while I go, you wanted to be alone with him."
She stared at him, dumbfounded.
"Are you crazy? Me talking with him is what has gotten you so worked up? God Jack, the man is married! Has children!"
Jack shook his head,
"Doesn't matter, I saw the way he looked at you."
Elsa threw up her hands.
"And so what if he was looking at me a certain way? What's it to you in all of this? Your the one who said "find someone who deserves you" and "I can't be the one"...
But she had barely finished speaking before Jack stepped closer.
He gripped her chin in a light grasp and tilted her head up so he could look her in the eyes,
"But not in front of me dammit! And only a day after we kissed!"
Elsa rolled her eyes.
What did he expect her to do?
Mourn his rejection for a solid 6 months or until he felt it was appropriate for her to move on?
Not that she was trying to move on but still.
Jerking her head away from his hand she replied,
"This is ridiculous. You are ridiculous. One minute you want nothing to do with me and the next you can't even stomach the sight of me talking to another guy. Make up your mind!"
Jack ran his hands through his hair in frustration.
"You think I don't know that? All of this is insane, has been since the first day I met you. Is it too much to ask that we finish one thing first before starting another though?"
At this point desperation rang out in his voice and Elsa felt a surge of sympathy for him.
In a softer voice she replied,
"Yes it is. That's not how love works. You can't push start/stop/pause whenever it suits your needs, because you know what Jack? I could really love you if you let me."
Jack stood stunned, at a loss for words.
But it didn't matter anyway because Elsa was already walking towards the inn.
He had a lot to think about.