Chapter 25

That night, Elsa and Jack had decided to stay in Northuldra.
They would destroy the sword as soon as possible and Elsa was sad as she knew her time with Jack was quickly coming to an end.
She sat in her tent, willing the sad feelings away when all of a sudden a knock came on the post outside.
Checking the mirror to make sure she looked presentable, she opened the partition to find Honey.
"Oh hello, I was thinking you were Jack."
Honey chuckled as she entered,
"I'm sorry to disappoint then."
Elsa shook her head,
"it's not like that-"
But Honey interrupted her for the first time she had known her.
"But it is, I see the way you both look at each other. Ever since that day you asked me about him I knew there was something going on and I just wanted to say I'm happy for you. No matter the outcome, you deserve for someone to see you as I see Jack constantly looking at you."
Elsa shrugged and folded some clothes as Honeymaren sat down, trying to appear unaffected.
"And how's that? How does he look at me?"
Honey laughed,
"Like your some mystical being he has captured and can't quite figure out yet."
Elsa rolled her eyes,
"I don't think he ever will."
"As he should, mystery goes a long way in a relationship."
Elsa stared pointedly at her friend.
"Are you speaking from experience? I'm tired of you and Ryder always staring longingly at each other."
Honey blushed at this and got up to hug Elsa.
"I'm just saying that I think you two would be perfect for one another, he seems to balance you completely."
With that, she said goodnight and left the tent, leaving Elsa to stand there.
"I think he would too."
She whispered quietly to no one.
After finishing her chores, she walked out into the darkness to find Jack.
She found him outside his own makeshift tent, a couple yards away.
He had just finished kindling a roaring fire and was examining the sword once more.
Elsa walked up behind him and stared into the blaze.
It was so strong that her eyes began to burn and she stepped back then said,
"Are we ready to end this?"
Jack stared at her, seemingly trying to figure out if she meant ending more things than one.
Maybe she did.
"Yes, I've made sure the fire is hot enough to melt metal."
Without delay he tossed the sword in.
Both watched as the fire slowly died out around the sword which stayed perfectly intact.
Jack frowned and gingerly bent down to touch the sword, it was cold as ice.
"Try again", Elsa said while biting her lip.
He did so, only for the fire to once again die out when the sword was submerged.
"This doesn't make sense, what's happening?" Elsa asked.
Jack shook his head.
"You know more than me."

Jack stared at the pristine sword in the soot, this was not good.
Obviously, they were not going to get rid of it by fire.
He was staring absently at Elsa pacing when he realized there was only one thing left.
"In my hometown, we have a Blacksmith who is legendary when it comes to metals. If anyone can figure out this swords' make and dismantle it, it's him."
Elsa nodded,
"Your sure he will know what to do? How far away is your town?"
"If he doesn't know, we can give up now. It's far away, not of Norway."
Elsa stayed silent for a moment and he could see she wanted to press for details.
Details he would not share with her.
"I'll take it to him, and have him dispose of it properly, after it is done I'll send word back to Kristoff or come myself to deliver the news."
Elsa replied,
"How long will it take if this is another country you speak of?"
"A couple months, maybe more. We have little time to spare as it is."
At this, Jack thought he saw her eyes go damp and he prayed to Odin himself that she not cry then and there.
This was hard for him too, but it had to be done.
Time away would give them both perspective.
He watched as she tucked some stray hairs away from her face, a gesture he had become familiar with.
"Can I at least write you? So you can give updates?"
Jack wanted to say no but did not want to sound rude.
"Of course, Kristoff can give you the address I will be near."
Silence descended upon them.
This was it, thought Jack.
This was the end.
It was time to say goodbye.
As though echoing his thoughts, Elsa swallowed hard.
"I guess this is goodbye for now then. I'm sure you'll want to leave tonight."
Jack nodded.
Unsure of what to do, he made a huge mistake and held out his hand... for a shake.
Elsa stared at his hand for a long time, so long that he took it back.
"If all you think I deserve is a handshake as a goodbye, after these past few months, you can go now. I don't want it."
Jack cringed but knew he couldn't give her the goodbye she wanted.
He couldn't hug her or prolong this anymore, it would only hurt worse.
With a bow, he turned to go, forcing himself to pack up his things and leave without looking back.

*Note to Readers:
Once again I'd like to say sorry for forgetting Honeymaren and Ryder were siblings in the movie lol, pretend that's not the case here XD