Chapter 2

This chapter is a short one, but it's just setting up the scene for the fun stuff!

Hope you guys enjoy!

Sang's P.O.V.

      Six Years Later

       "C'mon, Veronica, give it up. Who do you work for?," Vincent asks.

       "I don't know what you're talking about," I tell him through gritted teeth.

         "You sure? You seem like you're hiding something," he says.

       "I'm not. I'm just a little uncomfortable here," I shake my hands that are handcuffed above my head to a water pipe. "I have nothing to hide."

       He walks closer to me and kneels down closer to me. "You don't want to talk? That's fine. We can continue doing this the hard way." He takes the knife he has and makes a deep cut across my arm.

I grit my teeth. It hurts, but it isn't unbearable.

"Oh, you know what? You're right, I'm ready to confess everything now," I say sarcastically. This guys is fucking dumb. He's already beaten me up, a slice on the arm isn't going to do shit.

He stabs me in the thigh, "I'm really fucking tired of you." It takes everything in me not to scream after he yanks it out. I won't give him the satisfaction. But that one did hurt.

"Question," I pant, trying to breathe through the pain. "Why are you so sure I'm a mole?"

He pulls back so he's kneeling in front of my feet. "I got a call from Xavier and he explained that you weren't who you said you were."

I grin, "Well, he was right."

I use my foot to kick him in the nose, causing him to fall back. "Rookie move, Vincent. Always tie the feet."

"Do you really want to die so soon?," he asks.

"No, I'm just buying some time."

"What do you mean?"

"You see, the only reason Xavier knew I wasn't actually Veronica was because he was already arrested." I watch as Vincent's face falls and I continue, "But you were in hiding. So one way to get you to come out was revealing that I was the mole. You'd have to get rid of me, I knew too much."

Vincent laughs and wipes the blood from under his nose, "I'll give it to you, I didn't see that one coming. You probably shouldn't have told me that so soon, because I don't see anybody coming to your rescue. Which means I still have time to get rid of you."

The door is suddenly kicked down and multiple officers file into the room with their guns in the air.

"Drop your weapon!," an officer yells.

He doesn't listen and instead tried to stab me one last time. He's shot once and then he collapses.

An officer moves quickly to get the knife out of his hand when Aaron rushes into the room. He's a member of the Academy here.

He searches for the key to the handcuffs and when he finds it, he unlocks it. "Are you alright?"

"I need to be stitched up, but I'll live." I let my arms fall and I sigh out of relief. That was not a comfortable feeling.

Aaron helps me up and walks me out to his car. As we drive to the hospital, I put pressure on the wound on my leg.

"I really hope he survives, as much as I hate to say it," I tell Aaron.

"Me too. If he does, I'm sure he'll be more than willing to make a deal just like Xavier."

"I hope so. We need as much information from the both of them as we can get," I say. They were running a sex trafficking ring, some of those victims were children. This whole mission has been horrifying, but we we were able to save a few lives in the process. All things considered, that's a win. For now.

Once we get to the hospital, I get stitched up and I'm good to go. Before I leave, Aaron stops me. "Veronica, I seriously can't thank you enough for the work you've done. I know this one wasn't easy, but we really couldn't have done this without you."

     "I couldn't have possibly turned something like this down," I tell him honestly. This has probably been one of my most difficult missions, but I don't regret it.

I take a cab back to my current apartment. When I get inside, I collapse on my couch. I always feel a bit empty after these missions. Even though I do love what I do, I can't shake the feeling that something is missing. I also can't help but wonder what's next for me.

The next couple of days are spent doing paperwork, which I loathe, and with Blaire. We ended things on a positive note, she knew from the start that I wasn't here to stay. We had our fun, but now it's over. I'll be going to the next country or city soon, there's no point in prolonging the inevitable.

And after the last few months I've had, I really just want to be alone, even if it's just for a day or two. Plus, it gives me time to heal up a little bit.

And then I finally get the call, from somebody I know.

"Phil," I answer the phone, "It's been a while."

"It's been too long, little bird."

"I know you've missed me, but I'm assuming you're not calling just to check in," I laugh.

"Unfortunately not. How do you feel about coming back to Charleston for a mission?"

I sigh. I knew it was coming. I haven't been there in so long.

"What's the mission?"

"There's a club. It seems really nice, but we have reason to believe that the owner is the creator of a drug called Jh-14, or at least the very least a mass distributor. It could be really dangerous, there's a possibility that he's involved in some other shady business practices. But this is getting into the hands of kids now, we need to put an end to it quickly."

"Will I be alone?"

"Of course not. I already have a team lined up. They'll go undercover as bartenders, security, bouncers, and patrons, just to help keep an eye on things."

"And what will my role be in all of this?"

"You'll be a bottle girl," Phil says hesitantly, "The owner is very fond of his bottle girls, so that might give you an advantage that the others don't have."

I take a minute to think it over. "Alright, I'll do it."