Chapter 30

Quote of the Day

The mind is not a book to be opened at will and examined at leisure
-Severus Snape

Astrid's POV

Hiccup's mother was not what I'd expected.

I'd expected someone who followed the rules and scolded everyone, but this woman in front of me was anything but. 

"Come on, Johann. We go back a long way, just tell me," she said.

"No," Johann shook his head. 

"Johann, we've been through this," she sighed. "You tell me and I'll let you go."

She was a little crazy. Not in a bad way. Just in a different way.

Most people I knew would have had Johann tied to a chair and tortured the information out of him but not Valka. She'd sent him to get cleaned up and had given him food. That she'd cooked herself At a table.

"Why are you being so gentle with me, if I may ask?" he said, poking the fish on the plate in front of him.

"Well, you're our guest. I need to treat you kindly, don't I?" she responded.

"Er, I'm your prisoner actually," he pointed out, continuing to poke the fish.

"Same difference," she said with a wave of her hand. "Now, tell me. Where's Drago and the people of Berk?"

"I'm not going to tell you Valka, so you might as well give up," he said and stabbed the fish yet again.

"Are you going to eat that?" she asked.

"I suppose," Johann said, finally taking a bite. "It's not bad."

"Thank you," Valka responded. "I suggest you eat it before it gets cold, though. It doesn't taste the same after."

Johann just nodded and started stuffing his face with the fish. 

I cringed at the sight. He was truly disgusting.

"How is this going to help us get information out of him?" I whispered.

"Just wait," she said and winked.

"Now we can talk," Valka said once Johann had finished. 

"Of course," he said with a yawn, leaning back on his chair.

"Now," she said with a soothing voice. "Where is Drago and his fleet?"

"They've made camp on an island near Berk. Dragon Island they think it was called," he murmured. "They found the rotting bones of the Red Death. They're using them to make weapons and know where you all are. They've been sending spies in regularly to check."

"How do they know where we are?" she asked. "And what are they planning to do with all those weapons?"

"I told them of course," he said, laughing. "And they're going to attack you with the weapons. Oh, and they have no clue where the people of Berk are. They just say that to make you listen to them."