Chapter 8

Quote of the day

What good is the warmth of summer without the cold of winter to give it sweetness?
-John 
Steinbeck

Astrid's POV

When I woke up, I was in my hut. My head hurt and there were little white spots in my vision when I blinked. 

The last thing I remembered before passing out was a pair of very bright, green eyes. I vividly remember murmuring Hiccup's name under my breath. 

Those eyes, they reminded me so much of him. 

I also remembered his mask coming off. I didn't see what he looked like, though. Only his wet and tousled brown hair. 

I looked around for my parents, but didn't find them. 

I frowned.

"Mom? Dad?" I called out. No-one answered.

I began to panic but forced myself to stay calm. They were probably just at the plaza. 

I sat up and looked at the blanket. It wasn't mine. 

I looked around the room. This wasn't my hut. 

Then I remembered the Dragon Master. The thing I had always feared had happened.

I had been kidnapped. And I had been kidnapped by the Dragon Master. 

I heard footsteps. I started panicking. I got up but felt a little dizzy. I wobbled to the door and started running as fast as I could. 

I didn't get very far, though. I hear footsteps behind me, running. I couldn't get caught. I made it halfway too the door before I collapsed.

 Fortunately, I was caught.

 Unfortunately, the person that caught me was none other than the person who'd kidnapped me. 

"Where am I?" I mumbled.

"You are on my island," he said. 

"Y-you kidnapped me?" I asked.

He laughed, "Not exactly."

"You took me away from my family. That's called kidnapping. For someone who controls dragons, you aren't very smart," I said. As soon as the words left my mouth, I felt guilty. And a little scared. He was the Dragon Master. He would probably throw me in the ocean now.

But the only thing he did was frown, a look of hurt crossing face. 

"You should get back to bed," he said and picked me up despite my protests that I was fine. He carried me back to the room, placed me on the bed and put the blanket securely over me. 

After closing the door, he left. 

And in that moment, I had never felt more lonely. I wanted to call out to him and say I was sorry, but I was to tired to get back up, let alone talk, so I closed my eyes and went back to sleep.

_~~~_

I awoke to the smell of lamb chops. I rubbed my eyes, please to find that the white spots that had been occurring before were gone. 

My headache was gone and I felt a hundred time better than I had the last time I woke up. I was also very hungry. 

I looked to see where the smell of lamb chops was coming from. 

I was happy to find a plate of them on the table beside the bed. Beside them, was a note.

Enjoy the lamb chops. I thought you would be hungry after waking up. Stay in your room. Don't go out of the house. It's dangerous at this time of night and the dragons aren't familiar with you. I am gone for some work and will be back in the morning to drop you back off at Berk. I didn't kidnap you, by the way. I'll tell you what happened tomorrow morning. For now, eat the food and go  back to sleep.

Dragon Master

I looked out the window. It was pouring buckets out there. I heard the distant rumbling of thunder and a clap of lightning. 

Great. He was out in a thunderstorm and had left me alone. 

I didn't know why I was so worried. He was a stranger that claimed he hadn't kidnapped me.

Which was exactly someone who had kidnapped me would say.

I picked up a lamb chop and took a bite. They were delicious. 

I finished them all in about five minutes and was in no way satisfied. I couldn't sleep. 

The Dragon Master had said to not go out, but I could see the rosy streaks of dawn in the sky. The rain was beginning to stop and I was tired of being cooped up inside. 

So I got up and looked for my ax. I found it leaned against a wall. I picked it up and climbed out the window. 

I didn't leave a note. I would be back before he came back. Hopefully. 

I reached the wood and began walking through them. 

The smell of rain and pine needles was refreshing. 

Then, I heard a rustling noise. I looked behind me. There was nothing. 

Frowning, I turned back around and began walking again. 

When I reached a suitable tree, I threw my ax. 

I missed by a few inches. It flew into the woods behind the tree. I walked to retrieve it and froze when I saw something.

A dragon.

And not just any dragon.

A Night Fury.

A/N HOLY FRICKING CRAP! This book has 70 reads! 70 reads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to be honest here. I never ever thought this book would get this many reads. Another thing, I know that I have two readers that comment and vote regularly on this book. But the other 68 people, I don't know who you are! Please consider commenting or voting if you like this book, it really helps a lot. I would love to get to know you guys. 

Have a great rest of your day! :)