Chapter 5

Quote of the day

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve
-J.K Rowling

Disclaimer: I own nothing but the plot. How to Train Your Dragon is owned by DreamWorks.

Hiccup's POV

I woke up with a pounding headache. I groaned as I sat up. Where was I? What happened? Where was Toothless?

Then I remembered. Berk. We had come back to Berk. I hurriedly checked to see if my mask was on. It was. Did they see me? Another thing I'd have to ask when I saw someone. I looked at my surroundings. I was in a cell.  They put me in a cell

"Hello?" I called out to no one in particular. 

I heard some people talking and then footsteps. A large guard came up and looked at me. Then he left as soon as he'd come. I sighed in annoyance. What is the name of Thor was going on? 

After around ten minutes, someone else came. The man was buff. Then again, every viking on Berk was buff. The thing that marked him different was his large red beard with gray streaks. I had no idea who he was for about five seconds. Then I realized. It was Stoick the Vast. My father. 

I hadn't missed him all that much when I'd left so it surprised me when I felt tears spring to my eyes. It was a good thing he couldn't see them. Or there would have been a lot of questions.

"So, you're the mighty Dragon Master. Weren't very mighty when my men shot you down," he said. That should have angered me, but instead made the tears I had been holding back fall. It had been so long since I'd heard his voice. 

"Where's my dragon?" I asked. I was glad to find my voice firm and demanding. 

He laughed. It wasn't kind. "Straight to the point, aren't you? Your dragon is in the arena. Getting chained."

That made me snap out of my trance. "Give me back my dragon."

"No."

"Give him back to me and we'll leave in peace," I said, fighting to keep my voice level.

"Not until we see you fight our strongest, mightiest dragons. No one comes on Berk uninvited," Stoick said. Who was this? My father before I'd left would have just let us go. But I had no choice. Not if I wanted Toothless back. 

"Alright. When do I have to?"

"In five minutes. We're getting the preparations ready. You won't get any weapons and you were checked, so any hidden ones were confiscated. It was sad when I we didn't find any. Thought that you would have at least a dagger," Stoick said. I fought back a laugh. Did he really think I didn't have any weapons? I always had one on me. But I just nodded like I agreed. He left. 

As promised, five minutes later, there was a group of guards that had come to take me to the arena. There were vikings everywhere and the population of Berk seemed to be intact. 

I just wanted this to be done and over with. So I was very confused when we passed the normal dragon fighting arena. I couldn't say anything about it, so I kept quiet. Maybe they had built a new arena? 

I only got more confused when I saw almost all the vikings of Berk filing towards the docks. That was where we seemed to be going, too. There were all the ships Berk owned, ready to set sail. Where were we going? 

I was pushed onto a boat and caught a glimpse of Toothless. He was chained to a square piece of wood that looked very uncomfortable. He appeared to be unconscious. 

"Toothless!" I cried out. 

His ear twitched but he remained completely still. I was roughly pushed down into ship and tossed into another cell. What had they done to him? My heart clenched. Toothless was my only real friend. I couldn't let anything happen to him. 

I took a deep breath. At least Toothless was with me. If I had to, I could break him out of the chains and we could fly away. 

An hour later, the ship stopped. I couldn't help but compare how long it would've taken if I was on Toothless. Probably five or ten minutes. 

I was taken off the ship and forced onto an island. I recognized it, but couldn't place exactly what species of dragons it had. It was flat and sandy with only a few boulders.

I was taken to the center. Then I saw the holes in the land.

This was the Whispering Death island. But that didn't bother me. I had dealt with a few Whispering Deaths before. 

What I saw next, though, almost made my heart stopped. 

Toothless was on a crane-like structure and was slowly being lowered into the ocean.