Chapter 26

Quote of the Day

The quote is that there is no quote

Astrid's POV

Hiccup was pacing again. That was all he'd been doing ever since we'd gotten back.

I felt bad for him.

"Hiccup, calm down. Sit," I said.

"I can't Astrid! Don't you see? I can't. I have no clue what we're going to do. My brain's a mess, my plans are less than half complete and now I have this looming threat over me that I'm going to be sorry I was ever born," he exploded.

"If I may," Tuff interjected, "The man said that you would be sorry you ever existed. Not sorry that you were ever born because you know..."

He trailed off after seeing the look on Hiccup's face.

"I mean, it's pretty much the same thing if you think about it," Tuff amended. 

Hiccup rolled his eyes and continued to pace.

It was silent except for the sound of his metal leg thumping on  the floor and Heather sharpening her ax.

That girl was way too attached to her ax.

"OK, here's what we'll do," Hiccup said after a few minutes. "We're going to ignore the warning and continue with our plan. What if the person who said it just did it because they wanted to make me confused? What if it was so I'd remain confused and worried about what they said and forget about the plan?"

"You know, that's actually not a bad theory," Fishlegs said, looking up from his book. 

"Or they could be trying reverse psychology," Ruffnut said.

"Reverse what?" asked Snotlout.

"Reverse psychology," Ruff repeated, "The principle or practice of subtly encouraging a behavior or belief by advocating its opposite."

We all stared at her.

"What?" Snotlout broke the silence.

"In Hiccup's situation, the person who yelled the warning on the ship might have done it knowing that Hiccup would worry but then eventually come to the conclusion to ignore said warning," Fishlegs explained. " Then, when they knew his guard would be down, they'd carry through with their threat and we wouldn't be prepared."

"Yeah, but what if they do reverse reverse psychology?" Tuff asked.

"Or reverse reverse reverse psychology," Ruff added.

"Or reverse reverse reverse rever-"

"OK that's enough guys," Hiccup said.

"-se psychology," Tuff finished.

Hiccup sighed and continued pacing.

"We'll let you think in peace, Hiccup," Fishlegs said.

"Yeah," Snotlout agreed.