Chapter 20

Quote of the Day

Sometimes, you need to ditch the plan and wing it.

Astrid's POV

I decided to name my Naddar Stormfly.

It suited her and I liked it. 

"Stormfly, fetch!" I said as I threw a metal baton.

She bounded after it and came back within seconds. 

"Good girl," I said, giving her a chicken leg.

I  had recently discovered that Stormfly preferred chicken above any other food. It also made her faster than she already was, which would prove in handy.

"What do you say we go for a little flight?" I asked her.

She made a sound of agreement and I climbed on.

We took off and I nearly fell off. The sensation of being able to fly whenever I wanted was still relatively new to me, but I was getting used to it.

We flew over the clouds and I pet her.

I understood why Hiccup never came back to Berk now and chose to stay with the dragons, instead. I would do the same if I were him. 

I let the tension in my shoulders fade away and let out a breath of contentment. 

I could stay up here forever. But the sun would start to set soon and I had to get back to the arena. 

I was glad that Hiccup had taught us how to ride dragons, but I didn't want to get too attached to Stormfly. 

When we saved Berk and defeated Drago Bludvist, the chief was never going to allow us to keep our dragons close to us. There was no point in getting close to my dragon if I was going to have to let her go in the end.

"Come on, girl. Let's go to the arena," I said.

I could feel her reluctance to go. She was still a little nervous around the place, but it really wasn't her fault. She was being hunted in there.

Eventually, after a bit of coaxing, she agreed and we soon landed outside the dome-like structure.

Everyone except Snotlout was there.

"Where's Snotlout?" I asked, walking inside with Stormfly.

"We have no clue," Heather said. 

Me and Stormfly sat down and I leaned against her. 

After a few minutes, Hiccup spoke up.

"We need to go find Snotlout," he said, standing up.

"Do we really?" I asked.

He gave me a look and I sighed, getting up and brushing the dirt off my skirt. 

"Come on, guys. It's going to get dark soon and if it does, we won't be able to look for him," Hiccup said.