Chapter 24

Quote of the day

School is killing us. Textbooks are made from paper, paper is made from trees and we need trees for oxygen. Thus, school is killing us.

Astrid's POV

The first thing I registered when I opened my eyes was that it was very dark.

The second thing I registered was that I was not in my hut. 

The third thing I registered was that I was moving. 

Well, not physically moving, but the ground beneath me was moving. 

It took me about three seconds to realize I was on a boat being taken away. 

I immediately started panicking, but I forced myself to calm down. Panicking wouldn't do me any good. 

I accessed my situation.

My hands and feet weren't tied at all which wasn't a very smart thing to do.

But I could see the bars in front of me and knew I was in a cell. 

I had no weapon at all and was defenseless, too.

But the people who had kidnapped me had no idea that I was awake, so I had the element of surprise. I could jump up when they came to check on me and kick them, hopefully somehow freeing myself in the process. 

But then what?

I had clearly been unconscious for a few hours and it was very likely that I was in the middle of the ocean by now.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps. I immediately closed my eyes and slumped over, pretending to be unconscious.

The footsteps grew closer and closer until they stopped outside the cell door.

"She's still out," someone whispered.

"Argh. How do you know she's not pretendin'?" asked someone else with a gruff voice.

"I don't know. She didn't seem very smart to me," the first person said.

"She's got a pretty head on 'er, though," gruff viking man said.

"Aye. I wish my wife were half as pretty as her," man one said.

Were they serious right now?

"She 'ad a dragon, too. Deadly Nadder. Those are hard to train. She must be fierce," gruff voice said.

"Another quality I wish my wife had," man one added.

"Ah, well, at least the dragon's in a fire proof cell at the very back of the ship. All alone. I heard non o' the guards wanted to stand in front of a dragon that can shoot spikes. Don' blame 'em though," gruff voice said.

"So, what should we do about the girl, now?"

"Ah, well, we can' do much right now. Just leave the master to deal with her," gruff voice said.