Chapter 10

Quote of the day

When in doubt, go to the library

Astrid's POV

Why did I kiss him?

WHY IN THE NAME OF THOR DID I KISS HIM!!

I kissed him. 

And I liked it.

It was only on the cheek. I didn't know what was so special about it. But his skin was so smooth and his jaw was so chiseled and his lips-

ASTRID STOP! DON'T EVEN GO THERE!

Ugh. What was wrong with me? Why was I acting this way? 

I had turned around and walked away the second I'd done it, praying to the gods that he hadn't seen my blush. 

There were still some remnants of it, which I didn't like. 

As soon as I was out of his sight, I turned the way opposite to where his hut was and sat down, leaning against a tree.

I was horrified to find I had a lovesick smile on my face. I wiped it away, immediately. 

"Why did I do it?" I muttered under my breath. "Why?"

I fingered the carving of my name on the handle of my ax.

Suddenly, I felt a pain in my heart, as though somebody had stabbed it when I remembered that Hiccup had carved it. 

It felt as though I had betrayed him somehow by kissing the Dragon Master. Even if it was only on the cheek. 

This was all so confusing. I couldn't wait to get back to Berk. But a part of me was also a little disappointed that I had to leave. 

I didn't even notice I was crying until I saw a tear drip on the blade of my ax. 

I forced myself to stop, but that only seemed to make me cry harder.

Soon, I was sobbing. Gut wrenching sobs that I couldn't control. I buried my face in my arms, in hopes to muffle the sounds. 

It didn't work because I heard footsteps coming my way. I tried to hold the sobs in, but it was useless. 

"Go away," I said to whoever or whatever it was. 

"I can't," said a gentle voice. The Dragon Master. 

He sat down next to me and hesitantly put an arm around me. 

I surprised both of us when I leaned on his shoulder and continued to cry. 

We sat there for a few minutes, with my sobs that slowly turned into silent tears that slowly turned into sniffles. 

"Thank you. I don't usually treat people who claim they haven't kidnapped me like this," I said in an attempt to lighten the mood. When I looked up at him, though, it was clear he could see through my act. His face was filled with concern.