Chapter 7

Quote of the day

It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live
-Albus Dumbledore

Hiccup's POV

I wasn't a big fan of the Screaming Death. We had some bad memories together, the two of us. In fact, the only fun time we'd had was when I'd reunited it with its mother and even then, it had roared in my face. 

Maybe he remembered now I had helped him reunite with his mother or maybe he was just tired of chasing me, because when I looked back, I didn't see him. I went back down to see that Toothless was halfway to the water. I had to hurry. I looked around for the Screaming Death and to my horror, found it near on of the ships. I flew over to it and saw its face very close to a girl. 

"Get away from there!" I exclaimed. But the girl was frozen to the spot. 

Then the worst possible thing that could've happened in this moment did. The Screaming Death picked up the girl and flew off. 

I groaned in annoyance. How did I manage to get myself into these situations?

"Don't worry! I'll get the girl back!" I shouted at the ships. They kept on screaming and shouting.

I rolled my eyes and was about to fly off when I saw Toothless. He was almost to the water. There was no way I could go and get the girl from the Screaming Death and be back in time to save Toothless. I would have to get him free now. 

"Toothless!" I yelled. His ear twitched and he lazily opened his eyes. I flew in closer to him. Everybody was too engrossed in shouting, no-one seemed to notice me going to him until I was on the square he was chained to. 

"The Dragon Master is with his dragon!" someone shouted from amidst the crowd. The viking who was lowering the square started doing it faster. 

I took out Inferno and lit it up. In a swift motion, I released Zippleback gas and lit it up. It blasted around me. My armor was made of dragon scales so the gas didn't affect me all that much, but the viking who was lowering the square jumped back and fell into the ocean. Most of the vikings got busy trying to get him out, giving me the time I needed. 

I broke the chains and shook Toothless. 

"Toothless! Come one bud! Wake up! We need to leave!" I yelled. His head snapped up and he started licking me. I smelled Sagefruit on his breath. So that was how he had stayed calm. 

I thanked the Whispering Death and got on Toothless. It was good to be back on my own dragon. We took off and went after the Screaming Death.

"Come on, bud. Faster!" I said. The Screaming Death had a good ten minute head start on us.

He flicked me with his ear.

"Ow!" I exclaimed.

He flicked me again.

"Alright, alright, I'm sorry. I won't leave you again," I said, rubbing my hand where his ear had flicked me.

He let out a dragon laugh.

Soon, we were speeding along. I saw the tip of the Screaming Death's tail and grinned. 

Times like these were when I was glad I had a Night Fury. The speed came in handy.

I patted the side of Toothless' head and tilted him upwards. It would be easier to defeat the Screaming Death if we were above it. 

As we flew, we reached rain clouds. At first, it was just a light trickle, but soon, it had turned into a downpour.

As far as I could tell, the Screaming Death didn't know we were onto it which was good. It was holding the girl by the collar of her shirt. She looked up and saw me.

I put a finger on where my lips would be on my mask, motioning to stay quiet. She nodded. I couldn't place it, but I remembered her from somewhere. 

I shook the thought aside. Now was not the time. 

I dove down and Toothless let out a plasma blast right in the Screaming Death's eye. 

It turned its head up and let go of the girl. She fell into the ocean. 

I was torn between saving the girl and fighting the Screaming Death. If I saved the girl first, the Screaming Death would probably just take her again or knock her out of my hands. I would have to fight the Screaming Death first. 

The girl was still conscious, so that was a good thing. She was screaming for help, which was not. The Screaming Death looked at her and Toothless fired another plasma blast to avert its attention. It worked. 

We flew into the rain clouds with the Screaming Death right behind us. I was soaking wet, which I didn't really prefer, but it wasn't like I had a lot of options.

We flew higher and quickly got out of the way. The Screaming Death passed us and kept on flying up. 

"That should keep it busy for a while, bud," I said, watching the retreating figure until the red tip of its tail was gone. 

"Come on, let's go gt that girl," I said to Toothless. He made a sound in the back of his throat and we dove down to the ocean.

I looked around but couldn't find her. I started panicking. 

"Come on, bud. We've got to find her."

Toothless did his tracking thing and flew forward. I saw a figure thrashing in the water

We dove into the ocean and I got her out. Her eyes were half closed, so I couldn't see the colour. Her blonds hair was soaked and she was shivering uncontrollably. 

Fortunately, she was still conscious. Unfortunately, my mask had come off in the process of saving her so she saw me. It was only for a bit, though.

Just before she slipped into unconsciousness, I heard her murmur under her breath while looking directly into my eyes, "Hiccup?"

A/N Cliffhanger? Yes? No? Maybe? The chapter is out! I know I said in a previous chapter that I would update every two days, but I've been sitting down doing nothing a lot lately so I've changed it to maybe a chapter a day. A huge thank you to Suenchen for mentioning me in her books and for following me. I dedicated this chapter to you as you probably saw ;) 

Go check out her book. It waaayyy to underrated and deserves more fame.

If you like this book, please comment and vote or I'm showing Santa your browsing history.

And I know this is beginning to turn into a long author note, but I feel like this needs to be said: Please, please, please don't go in large crowds. Even though COVID-19 is dying down and we are allowed to visit each other in small groups, people are still dying. My great-aunt was one of them and I just hope that doesn't happen to you, so please help by not going into large crowds. I hope you all and your families are staying safe. Have a great rest of your day.

 BYE!