Chapter 16

Quote of the day

Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them, but you know they're there

Astrid's POV

Berk was no longer Berk.

At least, it didn't look anything like Berk had before.

The houses were all half burned with smoke still rising up. 

There was ash all over the roads.

When we got to the Great Hall, I found, to my horror, that it was completely destroyed. Half the building was gone. There were only three of four walls still standing, although that in itself looked like a miracle. The stairs were pretty much gone and there was no roof anymore. 

"This is terrible," said Hiccup.

"Thank you, for stating the obvious," I said.

"Does Berk have any enemies?" he asked.

"No. The Berserkers have never really liked us, but they just keep their distance. The Outcasters have ignored us completely since you disappeared and the dragon raids stopped. Thanks for stopping them, by the way," I said.

"How did you know I was the one who stopped them?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes. "You're the Dragon Master. Anyone smart enough to put two and two together would know that ever since the Dragon Master was heard of was when the dragon raids stopped."

"Well, so far, you're the only one who was smart enough to put two and two together. Does anyone apart from you on Berk know?" he asked.

"No, I don't think so. I only figured it out when I saw that you were Hiccup."

"Oh. Well, do you think that the Outcasts or the Berserkers would attack Berk?" he asked.

"No. I really don't," I said, "Berk has advanced its weaponry and we've built watchtowers everywhere around the island. We've been weaker and the Outcasts and Berserkers have known that. They never attacked us then, so I don't think they would do it now that they know we're stronger. Unless..."

"Unless they aligned themselves," Hiccup finished my sentence. 

"Exactly."

"Do you think they would do that? They've never shown any interest in each other," Hiccup said.

He had a good point. 

"It really depends. I mean, no one on Berk ever did anything to them. I don't know about Dagur, but Alvin wouldn't go to war with the Berkians without reason," I said.

We went around all of Berk to see the damage we hadn't already. My hut was one of the few that hadn't been in the thick of things and looked relatively unscathed. 

When we got to the armory, we were in for a big surprise.

Snotlout, the twins and Fishlegs were lying there on the floor. There was someone else there, though. They had on silver armor and black hair.