Chapter 18

Quote of the Day

A life of almost is a life of never

Astrid's POV

I was going to ride a dragon.

My own dragon.

I wasn't sure if I was nervous or excited. Probably both.

My emotions were a jumble as I walked behind Hiccup and the others to the dragon training arena.

I already knew which dragon I wanted.

A Razorwhip. They were fierce and loyal. 

Also, Heather had one. And Hiccup liked Heather.

So if I had Razorwhip, then Hiccup would like me. 

Wait what?

There was something seriously wrong with my brain. 

Ever since Heather had shown up, every time she'd been near Hiccup, there had been this feeling inside of me that wanted Heather to get lost and never come back.

Ugh. 

I tried to not think about Hiccup kissing Heather the whole way to the arena.

Key word being try.

When we got there, Hiccup told Toothless to blast open the gates since they were locked and we went in.

"This used to be a place where you killed dragons," Hiccup said, gesturing around him. "Now it will be a place where you learn to ride them."

We all nodded and he continued, "Dragons are not mindless beasts. They are kind, gentle and intelligent creatures that never hurt anyone unless provoked. You guys need to understand that if you do not harm a dragon, it will not harm you."

"What about the dragon raids?" Fishlegs asked.

"They were being controlled by the queen dragon," Hiccup replied.

"Wait, so why don't they come anymore?" Tuff asked.

"Yeah. Did the queen, like, die or something?" Ruff added.

"Do you guys ever listen?" Hiccup asked.

"Nope," they both responded simultaneously. 

He sighed and said, "I killed the queen. That's why the raids stopped."

"Oh my little Hiccy has grown up so well," Tuff said, choking up. If I hadn't known him since childhood, I'd have thought he was sincere.

"Wait, Hiccy?" he said. Then, shook his head and said, "Never mind."

"When can we actually get our dragons?" Snotlout said. "And can we share?" 

"You can get your dragons once you figure out which dragon you want, Snotlout. And I don't really mind if you share," Hiccup said. Then added, "Out of curiousity, who do you want to share with?"