Chapter 29

Quote of the Day

The most painful thing is when someone who made memories with you becomes a memory.

Hiccup's POV

Astrid was gone, and now Heather was, too. 

"Hiccup stop pacing, its unsettling," Snotlout graciously said, playing chess with Fishlegs while the twins played cards.

"How can you be so calm right now?" I exploded.

He glanced sideways at me, moving his pawn. "I have better things to do."

I stared at him incredulously. 

He sighed. "Hiccup, Astrid is going to be fine. She's with Stormfly, Windshear and Heather."

"Fishlegs?" I asked.

"Yeah," Fishlegs answered with his face screwed up in concentration. "Heather is amazing. She has an ax and everything so she'll be fine with Astrid."

"You know, they could be anywhere out there," Ruff said, looking at her cards.

"Yes, I know," I responded.

"All alone. In the dark. With Viggo and Drago out there," Tuff added.

"I am aware of that."

"With millions of hostile drag-"

"CHECK!" Snotlout shouted jumping up out of his chair.

We looked over to see Fishlegs rolling his eyes. He moved one of his pieces. "Checkmate."

"Oh come on!" Snotlout sat down, deflated. 

"At least you got a check this time," I said. 

"Yeah, Fishlegs beat you in his first three moves the first time you played," Tuff said.

"I'm pretty sure it was first two," Ruff corrected.

"Yeah, well, I bet you guys can't play a game of chess if your lives depended on it," Snotlout said smugly. 

"I most certainly can!" Tuffnut countered.

"Prove it," Snotlout said crossing his arms.

Tuff put down his cards and walked over, motioning for Fishlegs to get out of the seat.

"Tuff, you do know the rules, right?" I asked.

"Young Hiccy, who do you think I am?" he asked looking over at me sagely. 

When I didn't respond, he said, "Oden's chosen one! Of course I know the rules!"

I chuckled as they reset the board and stared playing.

It was Snotlout's turn first since he was white, but Tuff wasn't having it.

"It's not fair!" he exclaimed. "What if I want to go first? I think its very discriminating against the colours. What if black just wants a little bit of love? Why does white have to be first? Hmmm? What then?"