16 || The quest for Erebor

The village of Bree was an old, rustic settlement of mostly men with a sizeable hobbit population - due to its location on the outskirts of the Shire

The village of Bree was an old, rustic settlement of mostly men with a sizeable hobbit population - due to its location on the outskirts of the Shire. The village was usually a sunny, merry place, however, this night there was a thunderstorm. Rain poured and thunder roared over the village as the residents huddled inside the businesses and homes. Thorin Oakenshield entered the Prancing Pony, Bree's local tavern, and weaved through the crowds. He took a seat at a table in front of the fireplace in an attempt to warm himself. He smoked his pipe and tried to relax despite all of the bustlings around him.

"Here ye are." A barmaid brought a plate of bread and a pint of ale to his table.

Thorin smiled graciously up at her. "Thank you."

Thorin ate as if he hadn't eaten in a couple of days. His joyful dining turned edgy when the dwarf felt eyes on him. Two men on opposite sides of the room stared challengingly at the dwarf as he gazed between them. Thorin sat his bread down on his plate and moved his hand slowly to the hilt of his sword next to him. The men rose as to make their way to the dwarf, for what purpose he did not know.

Just as the men were about to approach, another body joined Thorin at his table. "Mind if I join you?" The man appeared to be human with long grey hair and beard and robes to match. He stopped the barmaid as she past. "I'll have the same." He kindly spoke to her before turning his attention back to the unsettled dwarf. "I should introduce myself. My name is Gandalf. Gandalf the Grey."

"I know who you are."

"Well, now, this is a fine chance. What brings Thorin Oakenshield to Bree?"

"I received word that my Father had been seen wandering the wilds near *Dunland. I went looking, found no sign of him."

"Thorin, it's been a long time since anything but rumor was heard of Thrain." Gandalf spoke sympathetically.

"He still lives, I am sure of it." The barmaid drops off Gandalf's food causing a quick disruption in the conversations. " My father came to see you before he went missing. What did you say to him?"

"I urged him to march upon Erebor, to rally the seven armies of the dwarves. To destroy the dragon and take back the Lonely Mountain, and I would say the same to you. Take back your homeland."

"This is no chance meeting is it, Gandalf?"

"No, it is not. The Lonely Mountain troubles me, Thorin. That dragon has sat there long enough, sooner or later darker minds will turn towards Erebor. I ran into some unsavory characters whilst traveling along the Greenway. They mistook me for a vagabond."

"I imagine they regretted that."

"One of them was carrying a message." Gandalf slides a piece of tattered paper across the table. "It is Black Speech. A promise of payment."

"For what?"

"Your head. Someone wants you dead. Thorin, you can wait no longer. You are the heir to the throne of Durin. Unite the armies of the dwarves, together you have the might and power to retake Erebor. Summon a meeting of the seven dwarf families, demand they stand by their oath.

"The seven armies swore that oath to the one who wields the King's jewel, the Arkenstone. It is the only thing that will unite them, and in case you have forgotten, that jewel was stolen by Smaug."

"What if I were to help you reclaim it?"

"How? The Arkenstone lies half a world away, buried beneath the feet of a fire-breathing dragon."

"Yes, it does. Which is why we're going to need a burglar...and a shepherd."