28 || A wink of peace

The company gathered around the small fireplace in Bard's home to attempt to dry off

The company gathered around the small fireplace in Bard's home to attempt to dry off. Bard provided them with any clothes he had that fit them. Leo sat a bit closer to the fire on the small stone platform of the fireplace, she watched the flames dance as she slowly worked to take her hair down from its soggy ponytail.

Tilda walked around the room handing out dry clothes to the company. She reached Bilbo and stared at him in awe - mostly his hairy feet. "Oh, thank you." She nodded nervously before looking at Leo who was still struggling with her hair ribbon. Bilbo saw that the young girl stared at Leo excitedly. "She doesn't bite...well, she might...she bit me a few times when we were children. I didn't deserve it." Bilbo became suddenly pulled into thought before nodding. "Actually, I did." Tilda grinned. Bilbo smiled at her and nodded towards Leo as he continued to shiver. "Go on, she looks like she needs help with her hair." Tilda nodded and slowly made her way over to the hobbit girl.

Leo had her ponytail pulled around in front of her face as she managed to get the ribbon to the end of her hair. Her tongue stuck out slightly in concentration. The movement of the girl brought Leo out of her deep concentration as her tongue shot back in her mouth and she looked up at the girl.

Tilda froze in front of the hobbit. "...hello." Tilda managed to squeak out.

Leo smiled kindly and noticed the girl's interest. She remembered Bard talking about his youngest daughter's fascination with hobbits. "Hello. You must be Tilda?" She nodded and handed Leo a stack of clothes. "Oh, thank you, dear. I'm Leo." Leo wiggled her toes causing Tilda's eyes to dart to them. "Do you want to touch them?" She asked, not expecting the girl to agree; however, Tilda nodded.

Tilda sat on the ground next to Leo's feet and gently reached out to touch the top of her foot. Leo wiggled her toes again when it tickled a bit. "Does it hurt? Not wearing shoes."

"Not at all. The soles of hobbit feet are like leather...so basically, we wear shoes all the time they're just made out of skin." Leo thought about what she said for a moment before wrinkling her nose. "Ew." Tilda grinned. "Say, after I change could you help me get this ribbon out of my hair?" Tilda nodded eagerly and waited for Leo to return. Once Leo returned in a baggy white shirt and brown capris (that came to her ankles) the girl began to work on Leo's hair as she continued asking question after question.

~~~~
Bard and Sigrid stood a bit away from the others. They watched Tilda excitedly ask the hobbit questions while the hobbit answered kindly without ceasing to smile.

Sigrid tilted her head as she observed the hobbit a bit more. Bard noticed his daughter's intense gaze. "Does she look like someone to you?" He asked as if he knew.

"Yes, she..." she paused as the realization hit her. "...she looks like mother."

Bard nodded. "When I saw her I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. As stupid as it sounds I felt like for a moment I got to talk to her again. I gave her your old shawl that your mother made you...it almost seemed too real." Sigrid hugged her dad's side as she could tell his voice started to falter.