30 || I belong with my brother

Early the next morning, the company prepared to depart from Lake Town

Early the next morning, the company prepared to depart from Lake Town. The townspeople had supplied them with food, weapons, and extra clothes. In a single-file line, the company weaved through the crowds that led to a barge for them to cross the lake to Erebor.

"You do know we're one short? Where's Bofur?" Bilbo inquired as he took it upon himself to do a count of them. He pushed the helmet onto his forehead as it was far too big and kept falling.

"If he's not here, we leave him behind," Thorin growled.

"We'll have to, if we're to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays." Balin agreed.

The company began to board the barge and load their things. Fili held Leo's hand and led her onto the boat as he took the supplies out of her hands and placed them where they needed to go. Thorin stood on the dock as he tossed items to the dwarves.

Kili, who now looked sickly, tried to board the boat when Thorin stuck out his arm to prevent him. "Not you. We must travel at speed, you will slow us down."

Kili smiled a bit, thinking his Uncle was joking. "What are you talking about? I'm coming with you."

"No, no." At Thorin's serious face, Kili's smile fell at the realization he was not joking. Fili and Leo watched them.

"I'm going to be there when that door's opened. When we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin..." He pleaded pitifully, the look in his eyes caused Leo's heart to break.

"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed." Thorin placed his hand on the back of his nephew's head and smiled reassuredly. Kili's face showed only devastation as Thorin boarded the barge.

"I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded." Oin spoke from the boat.

Fili let go of Leo's hand and stormed over to Thorin. Bilbo took his place beside her as she watched worriedly. "He's going to stay, isn't he?" Bilbo whispered to her.

Leo nodded. "I think so...I would do the same for you." She grabbed Bilbo's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I know you would."

Fili looked up at Thorin who was again on the dock. "Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!"

"Fili," Thorin warned.

"I will carry him if I must!"

"One day you will be King and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf. Not even my own kin."

Fili lowered his eyes as he began to debate in his head what he needed to do. He looked at his brother who stared at the barge longing, he then looked to Leo who watched him with an expression of sympathy. Her gaze did not stay on him long as she looked elsewhere, Fili followed her gaze to see she was looking at Kili - she was telling him to stay with his brother.

Bilbo left her side for a moment as Fili approached her and grabbed her hands. "Are you sure?....No I cannot leave you..."

Leo could see in his eyes complete distress. "Fili, I will be fine, I promise. You're too kind to think of me but Kili needs you. You will rejoin us soon. I know you will."

"Stay here with me,"

"I can't. I must stay with my brother as you will stay with yours."

~~~~

Fili moved from the boat and onto the dock. Thorin grabbed his arm. "Fili, don't be a fool. You belong with the company. You're going to leave Leo behind?"

"I belong with my brother. She would do the same for hers." Fili pulled from his uncle's grasp. Thorin watched as Leo too hopped off the boat and made her way to Kili. Bilbo figured she had decided to stay with Fili and sighed to himself.

Kili watched as Leo stood in front of him. She took both sides of his cold face to keep his head up. Anyone who tried to touch him previously would have gotten swatted away but he would not dare do that to her. "I want you to listen, and listen closely..." she said in a stern voice and Kili nodded, causing both Fili and Oin to smile. "if you don't get better, I will make your life miserable. Do you understand?" Kili smiled at her. "This is nothing to smile about, I'm serious!" She wasn't. Her goofiness settled down and she looked at him sincerely. "You come back to us completely better, alright? I will accept nothing less." Kili nodded yet again as his lip quivered ever so slightly. Her attentiveness and care for him and Fili throughout the entire journey had reminded him so much of their mother, and this stern talking to was no exception. "And you see that one there," she pointed her at Fili who stood next to them smiling, she looked back to Kili. "you bring him back to me."

"I will...anai."

"See that you do, kharm." Kili grinned at her response as she released his face and moved to Fili.

He wrapped his arms around her. "Where did you learn that?"

"I asked Dwalin," she said simply before trumpets blared and the Master emerged on top of a large podium. "I have to go."

"Please be careful,"

"I will. I have a hoard of dwarves with me I think I will be safe." She smiled as she walked out of his arms only be swiftly be pulled back.

"No goodbye kiss?"

Leo smiled sadly. "It's not goodbye... it's 'see you later'. But either way, of course." She stood on her toes and grabbed his face to kiss him gently, he lifted her off the ground slightly before she pulled away and ran to the boat.

Bilbo looked shocked to see her standing with him. "What are you doing?"

"What do you mean?"

"I thought you were staying with Fili?"

"And leave you? I would never." She smiled and grabbed his hand again.

~~~

"Go now with our good will!" The Master called over them as the barge began to leave the dock and the crowd cheered.

The dwarves waved and smiled at the crowds as they began to row the barge through the water. Kili watched sadly as they departed. Bilbo tipped his helmet to the people and Leo stood by him and just smiled. She looked back to see Fili once more as he moved to the edge of the dock to wave at her before he was again out of sight.

o o o o o o o o o o o o

Bofur, who had overslept and missed the boat, finally made it to the dock as it was well downstream. "No!" He huffed in frustration before turning to see Oin, Fili, and Kili. "Did you miss the boat as well?"

Kili nearly passed out before Fili grabbed him. "Kili? Kili!"

The four dwarves steadily make their way to Bard's home and knock on the door. When Bard opened the door and saw them, he snarled. "No. I'm done with dwarves, go away!" He went to shut the door but Bofur budged his way through.

"No! No! No one will help us. Kili's sick." Bard looked at Fili who was pale and exhausted. "He's very sick." Bard's face turned to worry instead of anger.

o o o o o o o o o o o o

A/N: kharm - brother