2 || I'm Gandalf!

60 years earlier

60 years earlier..........

Leona Baggins grunted as she struggled a pull up a stubborn turnip in the ground. Her dirty heels dug into the soft soil and created deep craters as she shuffled around. The elderly farmer, Mr. Boffin, couldn't help but chuckle to himself as he watched the small hobbit battle the turnip.

"I don't think that one's ready to come out, Leo!" He shouted from his resting position on the gate of the garden.

Leo groaned and continued to pull. "Yes, it is!!" She gave one last heave, "I think it's - " The turnip launched itself out of the dirt and managed to land itself unharmed into the turnip basket. Meanwhile, Leo found herself being tossed backward and flat onto her back, knocking the wind out of her.

Mr. Boffin was now doubled-over with laughter, "Ye alright there?"

Leo stared up at the blue sky and gave the farmer a thumbs up and she struggled to refill her lungs. "I told you it was ready!"

"That ye did, lass. But I'm not sure if the poor turnip was ready or if yer determination spooked him out of the dirt!" the farmer looked at the sky and figured it was around noon. "Why don't ye head home for a bit, huh? Get ye something to eat before we declare war on the other half of the turnips!" he chuckled.

Leo sat up with a grunt and smiled at the man with a nod. "Will do." She stood up and brushed off her clothes as best as she could. Her burnt orange pants and green top now both covered in dark brown dirt. Her hair, that was once tied into a high bun, was now hanging on her shoulder and was adorned with many twigs. She shrugged and began to race to Bag End, stopping to pet Mavis the pig on the way out. All of the animals loved Leo because she was willing to pet and talk to all of them almost every day.

She knew Bilbo would fuss at her for her messiness and would not let her into the house, but that didn't mean he wouldn't feed her - maybe.

o o o o o o o o o o o o o

Leo approached her home and saw Bilbo sitting outside looking awfully distressed - which really wasn't that odd; however, there was someone standing in front of him. A very tall man with long white hair and a beard to match. He wore gray robes and a pointed hat and carried a wooden staff. A wizard no doubt. He looked familiar.

"Well, I'm pleased to find you remember something about me, even if it's only my fireworks." The wizard stated at an anxious Bilbo. He turned when he saw Leo approaching them with a warm smile. "Ah! Little Leona Baggins! Perfect timing!" Leo was very confused but still kept a kind smile on her face. "It seems you do not remember me. I'm Gandalf!"

Leo's eyes widened as she remembered the name. "Of course! Do forgive me." She looked to Bilbo whose nose was wrinkled at the sight of her. "What?"

"You're filthy."

Gandalf ignored their bickering and looked down at Leo. "You still have your maps, yes?"

Leo furrowed her brows and put her hands on her hips. "Well, yes. How did you know -"

"Splendid!" Gandalf exclaimed. "Well, that's decided. It'll be very good for both of you, and most amusing for me. I shall inform the others."

Bilbo stood abruptly. "Inform the who...? What...?! No! No! No, wait." he briskly walked to his door and turned to the wizard. "We do not want any adventures here, thank you. Not today, not... I suggest you try over the hill or...across the water." He huffed in frustration. "Good morning." Bilbo almost sprinted into the hobbit hole, the sound of locks heard from outside.

Gandalf signed and walked up the small stairs to the door. Leo watched him curiously. Gandalf used his staff to mark an odd ruin on the door.

"He just painted that, you know? He'll throw a hissy fit." Leo crossed her arms and smiled.

Gandalf made his way to her with a smile. "Let him throw a fit. I have a sneaking suspicion he throws fits quite often." Leo subtly nodded with a smirk.

"What was that about anyway?"

Gandalf got down on one knee to be at the hobbit's level and dug around in his pocket for a moment until he pulled out a shiny green apple and handed it to the hungry little hobbit. She smiled gratefully and took it. "You'll see." He rose and began to walk away. "Just have your maps ready!"

Leo watched him stride away as she racked her brain for why he needed her maps. And how did he know about her maps! What was this crazy wizard planning? Whatever it was, Leo was quite excited. Anything that would get Bilbo that riled up sounded like it would be a good time.

The cool breeze shook Leo out of her thoughts as she shivered a bit. Looking at the mark on the door, she took a bite out of the apple and made her way back to the farm to face her archnemesis - the turnips.